Fasting and benefits

Have you ever done fasting for more than 2 days, i want to do but i dont know how well i will tolerate with med. but fasting helps with growth of new cells in the brain and cleans the body from all toxic. In Russia long time ago one psychiatrist treats his schizophrenic patents by asking them to fast, once they did for certain time, they went back to functioning level.

1 Like

If someone takes a lot of daily meds, I wouldn’t recommend fasting. You could try cutting down on unhealthy food choices, but this is different than strict fasting.

I used to fast for a few days at a time, for religious purposes. I did that for years before I started taking meds.

But my meds have to be taken on a full stomach in order to work efficiently (as is the case for a lot of medications). So my doctor instructed me to stop fasting. He also gave me this information:

“There is no scientific evidence it will detox the body. The issue of fasting to cleanse the body has no biological basis because the body is real good at that by itself,” says Fernstrom. “The liver is a natural detox center; the lungs, the colon, the kidneys, [the lymph glands] and the skin get rid of toxins.”–WebMD

So keep these things in mind when you’re deciding to fast.

Blessings,

Anthony

My symptoms exacerbates when i eat food, i have very little symptom wile being hungry, i wonder how i would feel if i don’t eat anything for 2 days and after how it will contribute to my health.

I find that eating certain foods affect my mental state + I try to not eat those foods. They are hard to track down.

Why don’t you try Muslim’s fasting, they say it’s healthy.

1 Like

I don’t know how Muslims fast… But i know not eating anything is the best way for me to fast… I just want to ruin my health because i have to take this poisonous med we are prescribed.

I think that this is the best way to Fast - your 2 Day Fast is the right approach. Don’t do more that that:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/29/205845319/two-day-diets-how-mini-fasts-can-help-maximize-weight-loss

Fasting is known in all religions, and if it was done in the right way then there are benefits instead of dangers, I found fasting ways in different religions…here they are:

In Buddhism
On Uposatha days (roughly once a week) lay Buddhists are instructed to observe the eight precepts which includes refraining from eating after noon till the following morning.
The Uposatha is Buddhist day of observance. The observance days are depending on the culture and time period, Uposatha days have been observed from two to six days each lunar month.

In Islam
In Islam, fasting for a month is an obligatory practice during the holy month of Ramadan, from fajr (dawn), until maghrib (sunset). Muslims are prohibited from eating, drinking (including water), and engaging in sexual activity. They are also encouraged to temper negative emotions such as anger and addiction. It is intended to teach Muslims patience and self-control, and to remind them of the less fortunate in the world.

In Mormonism
For members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, fasting is total abstinence from food and drink accompanied by prayer. Members are encouraged to fast on the first Sunday of each month, designated as Fast Sunday. During Fast Sunday, members fast for two consecutive meals for a total of 24 hours. The money saved by not having to purchase and prepare meals is donated to the church as a fast offering, which is then used to help people in need.

In Judaism
Fasting for Jews means completely abstaining from food and drink, including water. The major fasts and are observed from sunset to the following day’s dusk. There are other four fasts are considered minor and fasting is only observed from sunrise to dusk.

The Eucharistic Fast
which involves taking nothing but water and medicines into the body for one hour before receiving the Eucharist. The ancient practice was to fast from midnight until Mass that day.

You just choose wisely and do a thorough research before going into any fasting, and try not to fall into an Anorexic diet…good luck

1 Like

the trick to fasting is to know that your hunger starts to go away after about 5 days.

Trust me, if you drink about 5 liters of water a day, you will suppress any appetite. I personally did this water fasting a few years ago. It helped me.

Don’t fret if you don’t get it first time. It takes time and composure.

1 Like

Did you notice in any improvements in your symptoms. I read that fasting improves, but does it improve rest of you life or just that time, that, i dont know.

That sounds interesting.

When I was deep in psychosis, I fasted for 1-3 days at a time. It helped me lose weight, but it also made me feel like I was dying. With the medication I take now, Geodon, I have to eat at least 300 calories before I take it. So no more fasting for me, unfortunately. But I can go the whole day eating only 300 calories, if I like.

@mindwhisperer…I was free from paranoia and at peace with my illness. Trust me, I found it hard when I knew I had to do it. But it was only actually hard in my mind, the anticipation of it. Doing it wasn’t particularly difficult.

How did you go with your fast. For me I have started with giving up caffiene and sugar and just drink water but eating a normal health diet this has helped me a lot.

Hi @mozart.

Typically, we like to leave inactive threads alone and just start a new thread instead. This is different than how some forums are run, but we do it this way because it frequently upsets users to have old topics revived when they are no longer relevant. It can also be frustrating to the person who revived the thread when they don’t get a reply, because the original poster is no longer active or no longer finds the topic relevant. Feel free to start a new thread on this topic.

Thanks,

Ninjastar
Volunteer Moderator