Family thinks negative symptoms are laziness

I am SO thankful my family is not religious… It really helped me in the long run.

I’m glad your family accepted the science of mental illness eventually. :v:

2 Likes

On the second link that @SzAdmin posted it says that

A patient with negative symptoms may sit at home staring at the ceiling all day and feel perfectly content. “There’s little affect associated with [the anhedonia]. They’re not sad about it,

I am not sure how accurate that really is. I know that for some/many here (including me) negative symptoms are a cause for concern even if mood may not be strongly depressed.
I have mild depressive symptoms but can’t say the lack of drive,motivation, and low goal directed behaviour is tied to that. Or to put it another way those symptoms are still present when mood is fairly stable.
For me cognitive symptoms resulting in being overwhelmed at the thought of a task come into play when it comes to doing several tasks especially housework which requires multiple steps and some degree of organising and planning.
Also the fact that my mind often doesn’t register that certain things haven’t been done. I can go weeks without mentally acknowledging I haven’t brushed my teeth, days without mentally acknowledging I haven’t had a wash. It often doesn’t register that I haven’t hoovered for months and then poor motivation kicks in when I do.
Also cognitive issues. I used my hoover until the cylinder needed emptying and then really struggled to get the cylinder back on properly. That put me off using it as If I did it would eventually get full again and I’d have the same problem. The thought of struggling with the cylinder is too much. Very occasionally I use a dust pan and brush to pick up crumbs etc. However it’s laborious and often feels like too much effort.

I was looking at my notes which run from 1978-2007 and even back in 2003 there is mention of poor motivation. In 2009 a nurse giving me my depot suggested it was a chronic rather than acute problem and could be a negative symptom of my illness

2 Likes

Yeah; I would like to know where @SzAdmin got that. It does not fit with my experience at all. I have never seen a Neg/Sym sz pt that is blandly accepting of his or her lethargy. “Agitated frustration” seems more accurate.

I didn’t write it - I just linked to it, seems like a reputable source: