Family Stories

When my dad was growing up my grandmother gave a homeless man a sandwich. The next day there were a bunch of homeless men standing in a line outside her front door. (When I was a kid maw maw used to make us pepperoni, bacon and mustard sandwiches which were so yummy it was sinful). I wonder what kinda sandwich it was.

4 Likes

One day my mom and I were sitting in the front room eating dinner and we could see into the kitchen from where we were sitting. We could see my 10 year old brother, Jeff, making toast at the kitchen table. Apparently the toast got stuck in the toaster because he stuck the butter knife in there to get it out and all of a sudden by brother went rigid and shook a little. He had been shocked. He was fine but me and my mom busted up laughing so hard I thought I was gonna pee myself. It was especially funny because my mother always warned us not to stick the knife in the toaster.

2 Likes

That’s a good story!

1 Like

I’m hoping to keep this thread positive but I understand people need to vent. So whatever your story good or bad. Hopefully good though.

Once when my dad was at work or out of town or something his live in gf locked sis and I out of the apartment in below zero weather. She let us back in b4 my dad got home. We never told my dad til years after they broke up. He was pissed. I mean people have sad stories. I get it.

1 Like

Once when my dad got sis and I ice cream cones in the summer I let my big black lab lick my chocolate ice cream and I ate It after him. I was a little kid. I didn’t know. I was fine.

When I was little it was often just me and mom at home as all my siblings are much older and my dad worked a lot. My mom would often make a cup of tea for me and put in a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I loved that :heartpulse:

1 Like

@Loke Yikes. An act of generosity like that could get expensive when word got around.

1 Like

It was 1950. I was 6, my brother 9. We lived in New York City. My mother sent us out to go to a public swimming pool. I can’t remember what happened at the pool, but, on the way home, I found a quarter in my pocket. I didn’t know that much about money yet, but my brother took it out of my hands and bought an enormous amount of candy with it. Either someone put the quarter in my pocket while we were swimming or it was the cost to get into the pool and i didn’t know mother had put it in my pocket.

1 Like

When I got sick my mother would heat up orange juice in a pot til it was a little hot. Then she would pour it into a mug with a little bit of 7-up and stick a cinnamon stick in it. So good. Makes you almost want to get sick.

1 Like

Speaking of wanting to be sick, I almost wanted to fail after I botched a recital and my father felt so badly for me that he gave me a chocolate bunny (it was meant to be an Easter present).

1 Like

That was sweet. Was it a piano recital. I had a dance recital when I was like 10. My dad put me in dance class.

My mom bought me, my sister, my step brother and step sister each a candy bar to eat after dinner. She put them in the fridge and told us not to eat them. Well while she wasn’t looking I ate my candy bar. Of course she figured out that someone ate a candy bar. I felt so bad and I loved my mother so much that I told her the truth. She said, “Thank you L for being honest.” I didn’t even get in trouble cos I told her the truth.

1 Like

Yes it was a piano recital. My teacher had warned me that there were going to be very important people in the audience. I always played my best so I didn’t know what to do different. I tried not using my music and, of course, I didn’t have it memorized. It was very sad but I didn’t really want to be another Shirley Temple anyway.

1 Like

Our big treat as kids was when my parents took us to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.

It was me and my two sisters and we would each get two scoops on a sugar cone. I was like six years old, my sisters a couple years older. Every time my dad would say, “Now be careful, don’t spill it.”

Because being little kids we would get distracted easily and turn our heads and lots of times forget the ice cream and tilt the cone and the ice cream would fall off on the ground. Or we would lick too hard and it would fall off.

Now, we didn’t spill it every time or even half the time but between three little kids I can’t count the numerous times one of our scoops of ice cream ended up on the cement. And since my dad had warned us sternly and because money was tight, once you lost your ice cream you did not get another one. Tears sometimes came but we knew it did no good.

Now while I’m writing this it sounds cruel but we were warned fair and square each time not to fool around and spill it.

2 Likes

I remember when we I was maybe about five my mother, Bless her heart, picked up this woman she saw walking down the road. She was very tired from walking to the store and we drove her home.

The woman we picked up was elderly and really looked like she could use some help.

This was in the eighties when picking up strangers was sort of a no no.

But I’ve always remembered my mother helping that lady out. It sort of helped teach me the importance of good deeds and helping the less fortunate.

2 Likes

This is a little gross but I need to tell someone. When I was 12 I got sick and was puking at the kitchen sink with my mom’s hand on my shoulder. Well, I had an accident that went all over the kitchen floor. I hopped in the shower but my sister must have seen it or heard about it because to this day she will still reminds me of the diarrhea I had that time.

:scream:

You said family stories and this is a story no one talks about save for my sister.

1 Like

Oh that’s horrible she keeps bringing that up!!! Poor guy. I puked in my dad’s hair once.

My sister was changing my daughter’s diaper once. She had Sparrow on her lap and hadn’t pulled out another diaper yet and my daughter pooped all over her.

My niece ate a live grasshopper when she was 2.

1 Like

She just brings it up around other family members so it’s really no biggie. We all get a chuckle out of it. I suppose it bothers me less because I have been poked and prodded by so many docs in the past.

-Skunky

1 Like

I don’t have the greatest story about my parents. They’re boring but responsible people. When I was born my sister wanted me to be named “Bubbles Michaels”. My sister was 4 years older than me. She messed with me a lot She was your typical older sister she told Me that bamboo was located in 9 locations on earth. There was some in our neighbors backyard. Then there was some at another house in our neighborhood. I said theres more bamboo!! She said that’s 2 out of 9…

Me and my sister were close till like I was ten then we barely talked for a while. But i only disliked her really when I was 22-23 psychotic before I accepted meds

1 Like

Umm trying to think,

I guess one story is that I made one of my siblings vomit on purpose apparently by giving them a drink of a random mixture of things… I really don’t remember that though
. Not sure if it’s a false memory

1 Like