Family says I can't take CBT

Right, it’s not a cure. But it might help some.

2 Likes

They will have no idea what you are doing in therapy. I tried a CBT workbook on psychosis. I didn’t really learn anything I didn’t already know. I don’t think it helped much but my therapist had me do homework so I had to put some thought into it.

1 Like

There’s also mindfulness. It is said to help with intrusive thoughts because it fosters “a nonjudgmental stance towards intrusive thoughts, mindfulness may discourage suppression and avoidance of thoughts and this could lead to increased habituation and a decreased reliance on compulsions.”

And while I couldn’t find anything specific to intrusive thoughts and CBT in psychosis, for general anxiety, it apparently reduces intrusive thoughts and the distress they cause.

1 Like

There are alot of books on CBT in a DIY sense. It is an easily self taught therapy unlike some others.

1 Like

I’ve been through the same stuff you have. You have to get a grip and tell yourself that it isn’t true and these images and thoughts arent you and dont define you.

Think of them as the kick me signs bullies put on kids backs. They are their to cause you upset. Dont fall for it. Start asking for pleasant images and try to keep a calm demeanor. You’ll be surprised

2 Likes

I am glad to say I am taking CBT right now, just started last week, It is with a therapist and my insurance covers it. I hope my intrusive thoughts get better.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that with CBT, things might get worse before they get better. A lot of people drop out because of this.

3 Likes

I had therapy for mild depression once. It really worked. That time anyway. I had therapy for very severe depression many times and then it didn’t work.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.