Family Members and the SZ/SZA Diagnosis

Maybe you can see a therapist, sort things through. You might also want to talk to another trusted family member.

Family is rpugh with the way they see it. I have a copy of the report from my first hospitilization. My dad circled what he wanted to believe in pencilā€¦at least thatā€™s what I assume and likely didnā€™t believe the other things in the report. I think he always likes to believe that I am way more high functioning than I am. A couple years ago he pointed out my achievements in life stating that someone with SZ canā€™t do thatā€¦I guess he doesnā€™t understand that itā€™s possible for periods of high achievement followed by periods of no achievement.

My life history really matches up to major psychotic breaksā€¦each break followed by a longer period of low functionality. Heā€™s getting better about understanding things though. To be fair, people with SZ are not always the best communicators.

1 Like

I know I write far better then I talk. When Iā€™m in a manic phase, I can talk about everything ALL at once or when Iā€™m in a swing towards the negative symptom, Iā€™m lucky to eek out a few sentences all day.

1 Like

I agree. When I talk, I end up going in so mamy directions, people lose track of what Iā€™m saying. Writing is much much easier.

1 Like

Yes yes yes! My mother has passed but my father thinks that I can just block the voices out when I get older, seeing he told me thatā€™s what he did. My sister wonā€™t believe it until there is some sort of scan or blood test that drs can say, why yes she is sz; mind you she accepts depression and anxiety! And my brother just thinks psychiatry is a pseudoscience. Meanwhile my very elderly grandparents just said ok, and asked me if I was ok or needed help. Interesting.
So donā€™t feel alone, my entire immediate family is in denial!

Denial is a good word you used to describe how certain family members behave. Some of my family members are probably in denial as well. I am really tired of educating them on what I go through. Moving on is best. I hope things get easier for you.

The family I have that are in denial donā€™t want any form of education because in their mind there is nothing to be educated on, Iā€™m just weird, end of story.

But then there is the family members who knows something is wrong, but they donā€™t know what and then they ask questions and I try to educate. That I can handle.

Iā€™m lucky in that my parents have always been proactive about this and theyā€™ve read books, had nurses come in, been to support groups, have done many other things to learn about sz and keep me alive.

thanks. Hopefully your family has an easier and quicker time accepting your diagnosis. I know my family and they are very slow to change. Maybe in fifteen years theyā€™ll say something different. Good luck to you in your journey!

I guess trying to inform others on what sz and sza is really all about, is a never ending story. You guys, all of you, have really opened my eyes to a lot of things. For one, my family have always understood the fact that I have a mental illness.
I was diagnosed a long time ago with bipolar disorder - I was diagnosed by many doctors with my current dx, sza.
My family chooses to think that I have bipolar disorder, because lets face it, the stigma is less. This really bothers me, itā€™s hurtful not be accepted for my sza diagnosis. The media doesnā€™t help the situation. I am starting to not really care about those people who choose to be in denial of my schizoaffective illness. There is one family member who understands me, who accepts my illness and who is basically very cool. I am grateful for having her in my life. She is my Aunt.

2 Likes