Schizophrenia.com

Explaining proverbs

One thing i can recall being asked in the early days, when i was diagnosed with schizophrenia, was to explain proverbs like ‘People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones’ or ’ A rolling stone gathers no moss’. I was never quite sure why they asked but i struggled with this. Even now, if pushed to explain, i would struggle.

I like the Proverbs in the Bible. I am not particularly fond of the type of proverbs you are referring too…
for example, to add to the list of these cliche` proverbs…“Don’t put all your eggs in one basket,” and “Don’t cry over spilled milk.”
On of the dumbest is “A penny saved is a penny earned.” It doesn’t even make sense because the penny you save you have already earned, unless they have traded what was past tense “was earned” to present tense “is earned.”…Most of the time a penny saved is change after you spend what you earned or you have found on the ground! If you found your penny you can quote another proverb “Finders keepers, losers weepers!”

I had those too + have trouble with them. I think they want to see if you extra-personalize your answer. Someone told me that.

This one I know will occur to me at times and I feel I know what it means but I can’t explain:

“Don’t throw bad money after good.”

I always passed every test with flying colors when they were deciding if I needed to be in their hospital or not.And every single one of them were surprised. I completely understand “glass houses”. I could count down backward from a hundred by sevens. I could name the last 5 presidents going backward starting with Reagan (yeah, that long ago) I could go all the way to Nixon!! I knew what year, day, and month we were in. When it came to those tests I was a genius!! I miss those.

They still do those tests.

I understand that one.

I have trouble explaining proverbs too

I think that adage means if you save a penny, you still have it to put along with those you’ve earned.

Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Truman, Roosevelt…

I didn’t have a test that long ago did I? Yeah, I had them in the 70s. I get stuck after that though and have to look it up

I joked a couple times when they asked if I knew who I was and where i was. that got put in the report, LOL…Stuff like “I am King so and so and I am on a planet far far from home” then I said I was joking. the doctor wrote what happened, mentioned I said it was a joke and then told them the real info, but questioned if it was a sign of psychosis. Some doctors just don’t have s sense of humor.

Oooooo, I know the answer to this one. Anyone with a schizophrenia spectrum disorder has issues with abstraction. So we all take everything literally and it shows when trying to explain proverbs since proverbs are not meant to be taken literally.

When I heard about this, I asked my family if I take things too literally sometimes and they all busted up laughing. My wife thought I was joking when I asked her. So yea, it’s not all that obvious to me, but I guess it’s obvious to everyone else. Probably one of the reasons most of us fail at social interaction?

1 Like

Ooooo, lookie what post u made!!!

And you posted this post at 7:17pm (pacific time).

*correction: you posted that at 7:07pm (I think). I got an email notification of your reply at 7:17pm.

707, 717…got it!
very cool, as I was just thinking of someone those #s have significance with!
7777 in all that. “77”

yes, according to when it says i posted 30 minutes ago and it’s now 7:37 PT you are right. 707

‘People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones’ i think that one is pretty clear

2 Likes

No. They have a flat way of listening sometimes.

I said - If you have faults yourself you shouldn’t criticize other people. But then i Thought that was wrong. The right proverb for that would be - Let he who has (not sinned) cast the first stone. And also - criticizing doesn’t have to be deriding. It can be constructive criticism. That would have been my total answer. But I thought the Dr liked what I said because it wasn’t overly personal. But then - What does it matter??!!

“Don’t throw good money after bad.”

Sometimes it seems to mean “Cut your losses.”

And then other times it seems to mean “Don’t drive a good horse into the ground.”

Or have I got it all wrong?

1 Like

That’s my understanding of it too.

Or maybe, “Quit while your ahead”?

1 Like

I was hit and miss with proverbs. I always knew what day it was numerically, but I could never seem to tell if it was a Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. Counting backwards took some work. I haven’t tried counting backwards in a long time.