Exercise: Psych patients' new primary prescription

I’m not at all sure about this one. Thoughts welcomed.

5 Likes

This is ridiculous! Exercise is imperative for health but not instead of psychotropics!

2 Likes

I think exercise, good nutrition, good sleep habits and meditation should all be prescribed right along with psychotropic medications for psychiatric diagnoses. My firm opinion.

1 Like

It helps a lot but meds are still the primary choice for psychotics. As an adjunct treatment I believe exercise to be better than supplements.

1 Like

There’s a homeless fellow here who literally walks all day every day. 15 hours a day probably. It doesn’t seem to help him, he still swats and shouts at things I can’t see.

1 Like

Boxing news: Tyson Fury gives advice to mental health sufferers with inspirational message

1 Like

I think exercise might be beneficial to mental health as well as physical health. Too bad I have no motivation for it.

2 Likes

Good! For certain issues, like depression, exercise has better/more lasting results than meds. Im all for it.

3 Likes

I have been super in shape at times and working out intensely every day, even with a personal trainer. It didn’t take away my symptoms!

I don’t know if this can be afforded probably not
but
I think excercise is great for mental healthh for me personally and what would be amazing is if they would prescripe someone for you to do excercise with!! cos of motivation issues

If you’re willing to pay for that, sure… But I really don’t think that’s worth taxpayer money. I do agree that everyone should work out, but if you’re only able to work out with a PT then that’s an incredibly expensive way to stay in shape.

Also, regarding the OP, I think exercise is very important for overall health but I don’t think it’s been one of the most important factors in my recovery.

1 Like

yea probs too expensive I agree since personal trainers are pricey although where I live they do actually have this in place! as a voluntary thing but its for 12 weeks then it stops

1 Like

A cheaper option might be free gym programs and group classes. I know they offer something like that here to people with MI.

2 Likes

My Medicare advantage plan has free gym memberships at multiple gyms in my area.

1 Like