Excerice is the magic pill!

My Neurologist prescribed medication from my szA induced cognitive decline - he said it is the only thing that works. I tried to walk and bike ride, but with avolition it was hard to do much, but I didn’t try very hard to exert myself. Luckily we got disability funding here in Australia and I got 4 personal training sessions a week.

Now I am a new woman! I can concentrate heaps better, I’m not sleeping all day - I even got into some sport. My fatty liver is no longer fatty. I’m happier and more motivated. and I’ve lost 2 dress sizes. I know it’s hard to find the motivation to do it - but it works.

Here’s what it does to your brain - lots of good stuff.

10 Likes

that’s great. I feel much better about myself after a workout and the rest of my day seems to go smoother. I get out any anger I have during my workout and things don’t bother me as much.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten some great results from exercising more. It takes a lot to get going but once you do it regularly it gets easier for sure. I think it’s something we all should be doing!

2 Likes

My cognitive decline seemed to stop declining once I started exercising (yoga and piano) and meditating every day, eating more healthfully, and getting good sleep every night.

1 Like

Exercise is great.

I was really depressed this morning but managed to force myself to go to the gym and then I managed to stay the whole spinning class of 45 minutes although I kept thinking I would leave cause I don’t feel good and then I managed to do boxing after spinning.

I am the fittest I’ve ever been.

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and I walk my brothers dogs 3 times a weeek.

I might be having a hysterectomy soon and won’t be able to exercise for maybe two months.

All my fitness will go away and I will have to start from the beginning again which sucks cause I’ve worked so hard to be this fit.

I have gained dress sizes since exercising.

Some say it’s muscle but I think it’s fat too cause I eat more.

I eat unhealthy things too like chips and I’m vegan.

I don’t look fit but I am fit.
I used to be slim but unfit now I’m chubby but fit.

I was perhaps my happiest I’ve ever been with the exercise routine but then got depressed a bit since I lowered my medication.

I feel better today because I exercised and my instructor is just great.she does heaps of pepp talk which really helps me and she said I’ve improved.

1 Like

LS! Exercise yes! I started exercising again about one and a half year ago. Since Januari 2018 I fast Thursdays and Sundays. Two days a week I exercise with 32lb dumbbells: shoulder shrugs 3 sets of 15 reps, side bends 3 sets of 15 reps, standing shoulder press 3 sets of 15 reps, biceps curl 3 sets of 8 reps, one arm back row 2 sets of 15 reps, triceps extension 2 sets of 8 reps. Two days a week I go to the gym: I train my core muscles with the maximum of the machines. Three days a week I exercise two times twenty minutes on my Concept2 rowing machine. Also I try to walk some every day. And sometimes I do (which I can recommend) YouTube seated senior Tai Chi with David-Dorian Ross. Now I am 61 and stronger than most 20 and 30 years old guys and also healthier. If I am to die young of schizophrenia I will die exercising.

1 Like

This is the figure summarizing the review I posted at the start of this thread. Hope this isn’t a copyright infringement - Moderators please decide.
Basically it says different types of exercise do different types of good things to your brain and that these effects are still happening after two years of exercise. We don’t know what happens with longer term exercise because it hasn’t been studied.
This paper focused on cognitive decline in people over 50, but it is probably relevant to the cognitive decline seen in psychotic illnesses.

What type of exercise did you do, that you couldn’t do on your own?

Sorry, I had to delete the figure - I checked and it’s under copyright and you need permission

It’s mainly having the fixed appointments for 1-1 training. If I don’t turn up they don’t get paid. This motivates me to actually turn up.
Then they motivate me to go harder than I would if I were doing it on my own.
My negative symptoms stop me from doing it on my own. But this approach is working for me.

2 Likes

I’m happy for you. I also used to excercise with someone for a bit then it stopped. I may be taking it up again in a month. It really helps with mood in particular I find. And when mood is up, most things improve aswell :)))

1 Like

Walking several miles daily has been working wonders for my mental health - I started this routine a few weeks ago so hopefully my physical health follows suit before too long.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.