Schizophrenia.com

Ever sunk a pond before?

Anyone ever sunk a pond before? i am thinking about doing it at the back of my garden, it was my neighbours idea and i would like to attract a toad and maybe some pond life, just wondering if anyone has ever done it before?

2 Likes

what does it mean to “sunk” a pond? do you mean dig a pond? i had a friend in high school dig out a little water feature and put coy fish in it, and also it did attract some frogs.

im guessing your talking about something relative small or else you would probably need a backhoe to dig out something big.

3 Likes

When my paternal grandma was still alive her and my grandpa had a little pond in their backyard. They put these huge goldfish in it. It was really cool. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My brother in law dug a huge pond about 12 feet deep and stocked it with walleye and perch lol. He’s a go big or go home kinda guy!

3 Likes

My dad made a pond when we were living on a homestead out in the country. It required a bulldozer and a backhoe but he did it.

2 Likes

I recemented an existing pond in my mother’s back yard.

2 Likes

I put a little pond in my backyard at my old house. About 6 feet by 4 feet. All I did was put a few goldfish in it, and the frogs and everything else seemed to find it on their own

2 Likes

Lol I thought something else. I wonder why its called back hoe.

1 Like

Standing water draws mosquitoes. No experience with ponds. Mosquitoes carry some kind of serious disease - can’t recall the name - maybe west nile disease.

2 Likes

Waterfalls or some sort of water movement is always recommended with ponds for that very reason.

Plus they look nice too :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

wow, thanks for the replies, its great to see folk talking about nature bc ponds attract wildlife, the pond i am looking at would be very small about a metre long and half wide,

I’m hoping it will attract a toad or two to keep the slugs at bay, (gardeners friend) there will be a little house for the toad(s) and my neighbour has a solar water pump that floats which should stop it from going stagnant,

2 Likes

Not your typical cows in the algea pond. Sounds like fun.

1 Like

I have found a dried up pond. A big mud pie with big cracks You wonder where the water went. You can walk across

1 Like

Resting water out here attracts mosquito larvae but I have seen a few with goldfish in them.

1 Like