Empowering mothers living with schizophrenia

More than half of all mothers living with schizophrenia will end up losing custody of their children, either to foster care or adoptions – something Amanda Mihalicz has experience with as an adult adoptee.

“When I was two and a half years old I was separated from my birth family, including from my birth mother who was diagnosed with schizophrenia,” says Mihalicz, an experienced social worker and graduate student in the Faculty of Social Work at the University of Regina.

Mihalicz’s personal connection to this social issue fuels her interest and motivation to explore, thirty years after her own adoption, whether society has made advancements in supporting families impacted by schizophrenia.

Currently, there is a lack of information focusing on how to best support this population of women in Canada, while the majority of literature that does exist focuses on the deficits of these mothers’ parenting abilities.

Mihalicz says understanding the lived experiences of mothers living with schizophrenia is vital to truly grasping what they need.

2 Likes

What’s the point in sharing this? It’s a fluff piece that has no point.