Schizophrenia.com

Employers need not be told know job applicant was previously detained under Mental Health Act, says new government guidance -UK

Employers need not always be told that a job applicant has been detained under the Mental Health Act, according to new government guidance aimed at combating the stigma around mental illness.

The revised instructions to police forces in England and Wales state that a detention under the Act should not by itself be sufficient to justify mentioning a mental illness in an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check – required for certain jobs or voluntary positions involving children or vulnerable people.

1 Like

this is really good news, i had heard about this before but now i know that it is proper,

i have worried that in the future that my mental illness would come up in job interviews but i was told i did not need to disclose that information, the next problem for me though is trying to explain what i have been doing unemployed for the last 12 years or so, i think they will be looking more closely at things like that, little tells in the c.v. you know, sneaky.

1 Like

Great news for you UK folks! Us Americans have a lot of protection under the Americans with disabilities act, but depending on where you’re at in the country, there’s still a lot of stigma and discrimination. Unfortunately.

Human resources.