Empathy quotient

Your Empathy Quotient score was 27 out of a possible 80.

Scores of 30 or less indicate a lack of empathy common in people with Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome.

https://psychology-tools.com/empathy-quotient/

1 Like

my score was 14…so i have autism…!!!

I got 61. It seems very subjective, though.

I think it’s a pointer that one might be Autistic/Aspergeric rather than definitive, ie other factors would have to come into play.

1 Like

I think it would be very difficult to have a completely objective measure.

1 Like

True. You would have to question the person’s family members and peers to get a truly accurate reading.

I don’t know what are my answers for some of the questions.

Even then their opinion would be subjective and might vary across family members and peers. It’s very much a case of “I think I fit x answer” ,or “I think you fit x answer” if a 3rd party is answering. In either case its down to choosing which answers you or someone else thinks are correct.

1 Like

Have heard it said it’s linked to a capacity to feel. I can certainly feel to the degree that I’m more than a little thin skinned , and can be quite emotionally reactive. Therefore I have a capacity to feel. Where I struggle is putting myself in other people’s shoes .

If someone has had bad news I’ll show concern, though I’ll struggle to know what to do on a practical level.
However in a debate situation I’ll struggle to take on board the other person’s point of view. It’s very much a case of “I know you think that way but why would you?”

One dictionary says that empathy is the “identification with and understanding of another’s situation, feelings, and motives.” It has also been described as the ability to put oneself in the other fellow’s place. So empathy requires first of all that we comprehend the circumstances of someone else and second that we share the feelings that those circumstances provoke in him.

Empathy is a quality that we can cultivate.