Elyn Saks insight about psychosis from her book

Philosophy and psychosis have more in common than many people (philosophers especially) might care to admit. The similarity is not what you might think-that philosophy and psychosis don’t have rules, and you’re tossed around the universe willy-nilly. On the contrary, each is governed by very strict rules. The trick is to discover what those rules are, and in both cases, that inquiry takes place almost solely inside one’s head. And, while the line between creativity and madness can be razor thin (a fact that has been unfortunately romanticized), examining and experiencing the world in a different way can lead to sharp and fruitful insights.

This is why I recommend psychoeducation in addition to psychotherapy, it’s really helped me. Therapists who not only treat but also give us theoretical insights into the causes of specific symptoms. Knowledge and reflection has a way of straightening out the circuits of the mind.

2 Likes

There are only few who do this. These therapists are old and way beyond retirement who are ‘self-employed’ in a sense. I’ve conversed with a few.

You have to watch out for the young ones. They are relatively new to the field and dont have much experience and work ‘by the book’.

1 Like

Psychoeducation is one of the clearly proven effective treatments for SZ. If there are few therapists who do it in the US, then there should be many more.

2 Likes

I’m not from the US …

There are, but like I said; they are ‘off the grid’ so it’s not that easy to find them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.