Effects of Music on Symptoms of Schizophrenia

Approximately 60% to 80% of patients with schizophrenia spectrum disorders experience auditory hallucinations, which have been linked to high levels of anxiety (75%) and severe depression (60%) in this population.1 In addition, auditory hallucinations are associated with an increased risk of harming oneself or others,2 and they have a negative effect on all aspects of daily life, including work, self-care, and relationships.1 Quality of life is also significantly impaired in these patients.

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/schizophrenia-advisor/effects-of-music-on-symptoms-of-schizophrenia/

1 Like

Darn it. That means quality of life is significantly impaired for me at the moment.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Approximately 60% to 80% of patients with schizophrenia spectrum disorders experience auditory hallucinations

Auditory hallucinations persist in up to 50% of patients, despite their receiving pharmacological therapies,

Wow. I didn’t realise the rates were that high. I got off lucky.

4 Likes

It happens to me very rarely when on meds and for short amounts of time. I wonder how many of those have voices 24/7. It would be difficult to deal with.

2 Likes

So listening to music has an effect on auditory hallucinations? I haven’t had any auditory hallucinations for more than 15 years yet I’ve been listening to music during that time. Maybe because of the anti-psychotic medication that I’ve been doing fine all these years?

2 Likes

Hard rock used to feed and exacerbate my suicidal thoughts and impulses. Music had the effect of drowning out my voices. I didn’t like listening to music when I heard voices because I was fascinated by the voices. All I ever heard was mumbling anyway. And I very often heard hallucinatory, chaotic music. Listening to real music would drown that out too.

I had voices 24/7 for several months a long time ago. Wasn’t a good time!

1 Like

It’s because around 80%of people with sz are mentally disabled… To the point where they barely understand something, they need care 24/7.

80%of people with sz are mentally challenge. They can’t wipe they’re ass, they can’t get dressed etc…

My therapist told me that percent and only 20 percent are functioning.

So next time somebody from here say they are low function they’re wrong. Everybody here is high functioning

1 Like

Meaning that 8 out of 10 people with sz don’t understand what’s going on around them.

We tend to forget about them because we have a nice community here where everybody is functioning on they’re own with little to no help from others

3 Likes

Without APs I am non-functioning. With them I am almost normal. I went 35 years between hospital stays. Then my pdoc thought it would be a good idea to take away my meds for two weeks. The results were ruination. Now I am. 3 months out of the hospital.

I find it calming to listen to choral music often on headphones - but i do have to remain vigilant as it can feed my religous delusions. I do consider myself high functioning - so long as im strict with getting my shot and taking my pills at night. I did also suffer from clinical depression for many years - but now my voices have improved - im no longer taking anti-depressants.

I rely on music and audiobooks to take my mind off things.

2 Likes

An old girlfriend of mine got me interested in New Age music a long time ago. I found it very helpful although I don’t believe in the spirituality associated with it. I would read a lot into other music with lyrics which would upset me.

I read a book a long time ago on entrainment which basically means you make a mix tape of music that starts out with low depressing moods and lyrics and then the next 10 or fifteen songs are arranged in increasing tempo and optimism. I made a couple mix CDs a while back that did really seem to help gradually lift my affect.

My voices seem to mostly come out of existing chatter or noise. I got into buying a lot of used CDs after I quit smoking and I think it was very therapeutic although I mostly stuck with light rock, classical and new age music. I don’t seem to get auditory hallucinations as frequently now and more importantly they don’t tend to frighten me.

That might be true , but what is ‘high functioning’ being based on? Being compared to other people with sz? Being compared to other people with mental illness generally? Being compared to people who are not mentally ill?

All I know when I asked last year was that my depot nurse said I was high medium/medium high functioning with the help and support I’m now getting , but when I was not getting the support at my previous place I was much less functional.

I did too. 15151515151515

1 Like