Early Warning Signs of Schizophrenia Are Not Acted on Soon Enough, Survey of Psychiatrists and Caregivers

DUBLIN, Oct 07, 2015 (BUSINESS WIRE) – According to the results of a recent survey of 600 psychiatrists and caregivers of people living with schizophrenia, nearly all (98%) psychiatrists and the vast majority (81%) of caregivers feel that early warning signs of schizophrenia are not acted on soon enough, delaying both diagnosis and treatment of the disease.1 In the Early Intervention in Schizophrenia survey, conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of Alkermes, more than half (61%) of caregivers indicated that not recognizing the early warning signs of schizophrenia was a barrier to seeing a psychiatrist. Survey respondents also indicated that, on average, it took nearly three years for individuals with schizophrenia to see a psychiatrist after early warning signs appeared.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/early-warning-signs-of-schizophrenia-are-not-acted-on-soon-enough-according-to-new-survey-of-psychiatrists-and-caregivers-2015-10-07

2 Likes

Yeah my diagnosis date is june of 2006…But my diagnosis was july of 2010

So i was living 4+ years with an illness of some sorts before it got bad enough that they realized something was wrong with me :\

Just a note here… a new “survey” funded by a pharma company that just launched a new medication. Nothing wrong with it (though it might be biased - you’d have to look at it more carefully) - but just something to be aware of.

"In the Early Intervention in Schizophrenia survey, conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of Alkermes

See:

4 Likes