Duolingo can’t teach you how to speak a language, but now it wants to try –

2 Likes

I haven’t studied languages since 1974. I always found the oral part much more difficult than the written.

1 Like

Wow. I didn’t know that you were a fellow polyglot! German is difficult for me but you seemed to have gotten a good grade on it.

1 Like

I use Duolingo, I’m trying to learn German and Spanish. Ich bin ein mann

1 Like

I stopped studying Latin in 1973. By Fluke I got the equivalent of GCSE B. French- equivalent of GCSE B . Dropped in 1974 due to increasing mental health difficulty. Spanish-Failed. 3 out of the 4 of us failed. Never studied German.

The questions on those tests aren’t mind bogglingly difficult. A person with average linguistic ability but who has not been out of school/college long could score well on them.

Another language I’ve never studied.

1 Like

In my experience you learn better a language by going to school and talking to others with that language irl. What helped me is that I asked my friends who can speak english to speak in english with me. English is my 3rd language and I never use a translator. Rarely I use an english dictionnary for complicated words.

2 Likes

Agree. Takes hard work.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.