Dry mouth and dry eyes

I think its AP induced. Its bothering me especially at night as it makes breathing and opening my eyes harder. Dry mouth leads to tooth loss, gum disease and mouth bacteria eventhough I brush my teeths everyday. Also sometimes my eyes burn from dryness. I splash water on them everytime but it still happens after a short time. Actually I wrote all this in my notes to tell my Dr 1 March.

4 Likes

I have dry eyes too. I try to blink more often, I think it helps.

1 Like

Sometimes my throat is so dry while sleeping that I can’t breath then I wake up in panic. Last time Dr said to drink more water but its not preventing it from happening.

Both could be signs of diabetes. Did you have your A1C test yet?

1 Like

1 march I will ask my dr for a blood test paper. My last A1C was 5.7% last summer. Dr also thinks I have sleep apnea and gave a paper to get a CPAP machine but I still didn’t go get it. It looks uncomfortable.

1 Like

It’s probably not, but it doesn’t hurt to get checked. You have some risk factors for it for sure.

I got weighed today at docs and am up like 7 pounds from my low. Disappointed. Never going to reverse my diabetes at this rate. Too much yo-yoing up and down. Not losing consistently.

1 Like

My parents want me to do weight loss surgery. I think gastric bypass. They think all my problems are due to obesity.

1 Like

Honestly I am afraid of surgeries. Maybe I will never wakeup again or have a heart attack during complete anaesthesia. I cancelled my eye surgery a few months ago.

2 Likes

Lack of activity is linked to diabetes type 2 as well I think. Some physical activity would probably do you some good in both departments but I am not one to preach, I do not do enough in these areas myself.

1 Like

You probably sleep with your mouth open, as that tends to happen when you are overweight. If you have dry eyes, it could be lack of proper circulation in the room if you keep your windows closed and in wintertime the air is really dry. You would probably benefit from a humidifier in your room at night. Just a suggestion.

1 Like

I have very dry eyes, mouth, throat. I’m a mouth breather because I cannot breathe through my sinuses due to year round allergies to every gosh darn thing you can think off. I’m actually very late in getting my allergy shot, like I haven’t had it in a year and i’m supposed to get it every 6 months. I’m allergic to my cat too. Any I live on a desert so. I’m screwed. I humidify sometimes by boiling a pan on the stove, I throw in cinnamon sticks because i love the smell.

I think this medicine I take for eps and td called cogentin is the main culprit, It really dries me out. Do you take that one? It’ has another name, I can’t remember, um oh benztropine.

1 Like

I don’t use benztropine. I think APs also cause dry mouth as it was worse on higher doses.

2 Likes

I am on risperidone:

Quetiapine (Seroquel), risperidone (Risperdal), and trifluoperazine (Stelazine) are commonly used antipsychotics that can lead to dry mouth. Anti-anxiety medications. Medications that help treat agitation or insomnia in people with bipolar disorder, such as benzodiazepines, can also cause dry mouth.

1 Like

I have a thermometer in my room, humidity is always in normal range but maybe if I increase it it will help.

1 Like

Yah maybe turning it up a bit would help at night. You are in Canadian winter and I know the air up there can be pretty dry. Plus, having the heat on in the house adds to it. Hope it helps for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.