Drug side effects. What are yours and what do you do to cope?

Hi, I used to get really, really thirsty and drink more water. Then, I had a laparoscopy for high prolactin, then I was sedated so drank excessive amounts of coffee. Then I couldn’t sleep so took sleeping pills. Now, I’m on Latuda and am a bit more hungry than usual so I try to follow a healthy diet, it helps me sleep so I take it at night and it makes me a bit cold which I don’t understand why or what to do except wear more layers! I just hope it’s not indicative of a more serious problem… what side effects do you manage?

Extreme thirst and frequent urination. Then tiredness so I drink a lot of caffeine to stay awake during the day.

1 Like

I never thought an antipsychotic could make you cold, maybe that’s what’s wrong with me. I sleep with three thick comforters at night because i’m so cold.

1 Like

Yes, I think schizophrenia has a negative effect whereby the body stops normally regulating temperature…

Exhaustion, weight gain, and twitchiness. I don’t really cope. I’m just tired all the time.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that wildflower… I wonder if you should ask your pdoc for an adjunct to liven you up a little. Sometimes a stimulating antipsychotic drug like Abilify can help in a small morning dose. It might be worth asking…

I’ve taken Abilify before and it did nothing to help with my sz symptoms… :confused:

1 Like

For me, clozapine has caused me to gain weight and drool. As far as coping goes, I don’t do enough. I need to exercise but I hate exercise. My New Year’s resolution is to lose some pounds.

1 Like

Blood pressure problems, restless leg syndrome also known as akathisia. I take a beta blocker and a benzodiazepine because of the side effects, and they’re also psychoactive, so now I am addicted and dependent on them in addition to the antipsychotic.

1 Like

It might not help with schizophrenia but as a small addition to your main antipsychotic it could make you less sleepy?

Hi muzikos, sounds like a good resolution. Good luck!

Hopefully they are the lesser evil mortimermouse. If not and you ever want to wean yourself off them I have heard lowering the dose ten percent per month if not more slowly even is the best way to avoid side effects…

1 Like