Schizophrenia.com

Drug could prevent or curb autism and schizophrenia

7 Likes

Paywall, but this could take my breath away if real.

1 Like

Omg I hope this works or something else soon!

1 Like

Yeah theres a paywall can you post the main parts of it.

1 Like

Try this :

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=29702

4 Likes

thanks 151515!!!

1 Like

Sounds good and promising. Thanks.

Can someone summarize this? Lol

1 Like

So this enzyme inhibitor, soluble epoxide hydrolase (sEH) is antiinflamatory and related to metabolism of fatty acids.

It seems to me from reading the article that when mother rats and mice have immune activation during pregnancy (they are given something that mimics a viral infection) the baby rodents suffer from it in ways similar to humans with autism or schizophrenia. It also seems that this may not just be a result of maternal immune activation, since when they studied human cells with the 22q11.2 deletion, the expression of sEH was higher.

I couldn’t find anything in the article about its use in adults, but there was another study mentioning its role in Parkinson’s.

Treatment of TPPU (a potent sEH inhibitor) into juvenile offspring from P28 to P56 could prevent cognitive deficits and loss of parvalbumin (PV)-immunoreactivity in the medial PFC of adult offspring after MIA. In addition, dosing of TPPU to pregnant mothers from E5 to P21 could prevent cognitive deficits, and social interaction deficits and PV-immunoreactivity in the mPFC of juvenile offspring after MIA.

P28-P56 is postnatal days 28-56, that means days after the rodents were born. That range corresponds roughly to late childhood to early adulthood. They also tried it on pregnant rats.

It will be a long way to go before they consider giving this to pregnant women. But apparently they are going to study it in pain management.

William Schmidt, vice president of clinical development at EicOsis, a Davis-based company developing inhibitors to sEH to treat unmet medical needs in humans and companion animals, said the company is devel​oping a first-in-class therapy for neuropathic and inflammatory pain.

So maybe more knowledge will come from those trials.

2 Likes