Doubt regarding medicine weights

So some ap’s weigh 2mg 5mg 10mg and others weight 100mg 200mg and like that…

Does it mean that the meds that weigh 100mg 200mg are more stronger than the 2mg 5mg meds?

How does it work can anyone explain?

You bring up a good question.

Some molecules are heavier than others. It doesn’t mean they work better or worse.

1 Like

No, it depends on meds efficacy to block dopamine. A 4mg Risperdal med can block as much dopamine as 120mg or 160mg Geodon. Its more effective and more potent.

1 Like

Wikipedia explains it more in details, each med has a constant about how much it blocks and binds tightly to dopamine receptors.

1 Like

Small weight meds such as haloperidol are considered ‘high potency’ ie not much is needed to treat psychosis. Large weight meds like seroquel are considered ‘low potency’ ie more med is required to have the same effect as haloperidol

1 Like

So does that mean that the person consuming 100mg 200mg meds becomes more sedated than the person on 2mg 5mg meds?
@anon94176359 @Aziz

2 Likes

I don’t think so. Sedation depends on many other things maybe by how much it blocks dopamine. I am more sedated on 4mg Risperdal than 20mg Abilify.

1 Like

Right, sedation isn’t on a one to one ratio with each milligram of substance in the pill.

1 Like

I take 100mg twice a day but i use to be on 4mg risperidal (the respiridal was stronger with worse side effects but idk much about it.
oh yeah 800 mg is supposed to be the standard dose for what i am so 100mg is considered small dose. or therapeutic dose. it is more than that though lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.