Dopamine antagonists

Dear all,

I am interested in information and a list of the dopamine antagonists that are currently available. I am on a partial dopamine antagonist at the moment - Abilify. However, I think that it may be necessary to switch to a full dopamine antagonist to counter my occasional voice.

What evidence is there for the dopamine hypothesis, that hallucinations are caused by excessive dopamine in areas of the brain? Is it just a shot in the dark?

Any help appreciated,

Morrissey

Invega has completely taken my voices away.

Flupentixol made my voices go away completely. But it made me a zombie.

Personally I feel that my son’s symptoms are a result of too much dopamine. I have not spent a lot of time researching this yet but I guess I will now as you have peaked my curiosity to do more research. Considering how stable he is on current medications then it would seem to support that theory. My son is taking Clozapine and Risperidone which are both dopamine blockers. His symptoms seem to flair up in direct proportion to marijuana use which increases dopamine.

I’ve found, in my own experience, that Abilify is best used in combination with another anti-psychotic. I’m currently on Abilify and Trilafon though I’ve been on other meds with it in the past.