Does Sz/SzA make you feel like a kid?

When things start getting worse I start feeling like a little kid again, anyone else like this?

3 Likes

Yes.

I think you can only associate such fear and vulnerability with childhood.

At least thatā€™s what I think.

2 Likes

All I know is that others treat me like a kid.

2 Likes

Developmentally delayed/immature?

Kinda, idk. More along the lines of defenseless.

I think itā€™s called regression.

3 Likes

I have it too. But in some other moments I feel old in a bad wayā€¦ so I have the two behaviours, none of them isnā€™t nice for me :confused: ā€¦

I recall for years in the old days of my scz that I had to have a survival method both ā€œinside the scz planeā€ so to speak and outside in the real world.

It is no lie I was trying to survive the scz world inside first and foremost and around the clock all week, all year, for years. And I had to survive that while I was surviving in the real world. It was a tremendous task, and in the real world I achieved tremendously compared to the average person and compared to what I would have done if I were not scz. Some people here have believed that I was delusional when describing myself in regards to what Iā€™ve achieved, but I would kindly reply to that with I would never overestimate their initiative or capability either. :slight_smile:

ONE of the things that I realized I was doing in the scz world as I like or have to put it is becoming less than I am such as like a small child. Itā€™s true, but it was only mentally and never outwardly.

It is hard to understand this for anyone thatā€™s never had classic scz, but I would have to constantly keep my voices preoccupied you might say while I was working on everything I was working very hard, long, and for many years. Itā€™s hard to explain, but it was as if my mind would go blank and lose focus the way you do when you panic if I didnā€™t keep the voices on their toes.

And one of the things I would resort to is lessening myself mentally to a child in the interactions with the voicesā€¦mentally not out loud or physically.

I have had to think this way all of those years as well, and Iā€™m no small time thinker. Iā€™m ā€œthe thinkerā€ compared to anyone I know personally. I figure out things while others cannot, give up, or get it wrong. Again Iā€™m back to the over estimation/underestimation thing about me and people in this forum reading from meā€¦

And this is how I lived, thought, worked and so forth with these voices rambling and myself rambling back at them in my mind all at the same time.

I recalled several times I would step back from what I was doing, and get the gist of what it was I was doing. I was essentially juggling a very intense kind of full life mental and physical juggle act which would be impossible to follow for a beginner such as a normie without scz or new to scz.

1 Like

When I was attending an outpatient hospital called the Recovery Center at the V.A., the staff would treat us like and talk to us like we were all children. I remember that. It was kind of comforting, I remember because I was so sick, at the time. I would hate being treated like that now.

Yes yes yes. Iā€™m actually not sure if itā€™s my MI or if Iā€™m just childish to be honest. I have ASD as well so I kinda always blamed my immaturity on that, but it could be my personality, who knows. In general I am more like a child then I even was when I was one.

Regression is also something I do to cope sometimes. It works great for me. Throw some cartoons on, get my SO to make me lunch, doodle and put stickers on everything. Itā€™s a good way to not worry about things.

I guess Iā€™m only 21, so it canā€™t be that bad to miss your childhood. Thereā€™s a lot of things I still do now as an ā€˜adultā€™

Stuffed animals? Check
100s of cute stickers? Check
Colouring books? Yes
Unable to make appointments or understand the basics of budget? Hell yeah
Sleep with a teddy bear? Every night
Scared of everything? For sure
Wave hi at literally every dog Iā€™ve ever seen in my life with the uncontrollable need to say ā€˜hi puppyā€™? Check
Have to point and identify any sort of animals I ever see? Of course
Need to go see my mum so she can brush and braid my hair? Yup

I can go on forever. Too bad I canā€™t go back to a time when I didnā€™t know the world was in ruins and the environment destroyed, where I didnā€™t have any responsibility and others took care of me. Where I could just play and not know the concept of anxiety and depression.

1 Like

During psychosis and during recover I did feel like a kid. During psychosis I could only watch cartoons because everything else scared me. After psychosis I would cry at random times until I recovered.

1 Like

well, the stickers Iā€™m not interested in. the coloring books and stuffed animals ill go for~

anyway, in my situation I do feel more like a kid sometimes. I question it though, it may seem weaker to people. are we not all kids? thinking ONLY because we live to a ā€œpossibleā€ 100 years. as soon as we hit 70, (damn thatā€™s when Iā€™m old). nobody is oldā€¦they just seem younger or older. (possibly more attractive) LOLā€¦

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.