Does Schizophrenia have a gender bias?

Oh great, I get to look forward to a 2nd peak when I’m in my 40’s? My pdoc said it usually levels at after about 10 years which for me is around now in my mid-30s.

@firemonkey Thank you for that article. I hope my symptoms don’t get drastically worse with age.

I just wanted to add that this was a good article and topic to post. There is only one sz support group in my area and its for young men. I haven’t met any other women except while in the hospital with sz. Like Barbie says I think PMS affects the brain and mood components.

@Skims I have not been to any local support groups here. I contacted NAMI today and received some information that I have not had time to look through yet, but since I have had a name to put to my symptoms I have not met any women who share the same diagnosis. And due to childhood trauma, I find it difficult to confide in men. (Also something I am working on.)

"Schizoaffective disorder is characterized by the presence of symptoms of both schizophrenia and a major mood disorder.

A recent analysis of a large Medicaid database found that patients with schizoaffective disorder were significantly younger, more likely to be female, and more likely to be white, Hispanic, or of other non-African American race or ethnicity compared with patients with schizophrenia"

I guess I’m a girl and young…LOL! Really though, I’m a guy in early 50s… had symptoms since I was 5.

3 Likes