Does MI make you more likely to get addicted to stuff

before i became psychotic i used to be addicted to weed psychologically like i would take a hit every 2 hours i was awake and every day before school, the only thing that stopped me from smoking is after i became psychotic the voices would get worse and i would panic whenever i smoked weed, i also noticed a few people here used to be addicted to drugs and other stuff too

I still smoke weed even though i have sz. I couldnmt for the first nine months after my psychosis.

But as far as addiction goes i have trouble with ativan. It’s hard to kick.

1 Like

I am addicted to alcohol. The med’s lessened my addiction, but I still crave it. I’ve been to a number of AA meetings, and alcoholics come from all walks of life. It did seem to me like a lot of my drinking was due to anxiety and social phobia. I think my MI was partly caused by my drinking because of the way I drank. You’re right, MI probably can play a role in addiction.

1 Like

They are comorbid a lot.

Probably both because of self medication for the psychic pain of being MI, and physical brain differences making you more susceptible to addiction.

2 Likes

Nah. I’ve been to AA and everybody there is a normie. Addictive substances are addictive. It has nothing to do with mental illness.

Nicotine is addictive.
Alcohol is addictive
Benzos are.
The list goes on.

1 Like

i cant take part in most of the good addictions i used to have like exercise and so on. i am not able to initiate things like watching movies completing assignments etc. it is really a drag, i feel like i just dont have the ability to anticipate a reward from these activities so i never seem to get anything done. my normie siblings are hella motivated tho, they never seem to be able to sit still. i can barely even post on this site, that is how bad the avolition is for me. can you imagine i used to run, not a lot but my saturday long run was 10 miles. now i cant do anything closely resembling that, i cant evevn listen to a podcast and walk 2 miles, im so freaking lazy.

1 Like

i was so balanced before falling ill, then the illness came and i simply couldn’t get anything done. it waxes and wanes, getting better for a number of days and then reemerging for a number of days or weeks.

1 Like

Yes people with mental illness are significantly more likely to develop substance abuse problems. This is largely due to “self medicating”.

3 Likes

My pdoc told me the biggest addiction he deals with his patients is gambling.

1 Like

People with schizophrenia are more likely to abuse substances than the average citizen. And abusing drugs or alcohol puts you at risk for addiction.

1 Like

Statistically you are more likely to misuse substances when you have a MI because imbalances in your brain chemistry make you chase a suitable high to feel normal again.

2 Likes

I don’t think it makes you more prone to addiction. I’ve never been addicted to anything like substances. I’ve always been more prone to addictions to behaviors. Like bulimia and lip pressing.

1 Like

It does make you more likely to be addicted. I always felt I was self-medicating especially anxiety and social phobias and depression. Now on my med combo i’m no longer addicted to anything, it’s easy for me to not abuse substances the last year and a half, and be 100% sober the last 2 weeks since I started zoloft.

Trauma can deplete the D2 cells in your brain and D2 cells are what protects you against becoming addicted to substances. I saw this in a documentary its recent news but not that recent but not a lot of people know it. D2 is related to dopamine. One day they will be able to replenish your D2 in your brain to fight off addiction. They can’t do it now without upsetting the equilibrium of your brain.

about 20% of people who drink become alcoholics. about 20% of people who do drugs become drug addicts. There is a science in addiction and it is more complete than you think. It has to do with your brain chemistry and mentally ill people have disrupted brain chemistries.

2 Likes

I believe this is correct. Some medication I am on I drink. Other medications I have no desire to drink.

I probably shouldn’t drink. It just hasn’t risen to the top of the pile of things that are a problem for me.

2 Likes

Something about getting sick means I’m always craving bubble tea so I go out for it almost every day now… Hoping to change since it’s bothering my life.

1 Like

Sorry it’s bothersome for you, but bubble tea is pretty tame.