Does having mental illness mean you have to give up on your career dreams?

I study for a particular career path before my psychosis hit. In this career path I would encounter enormous amount of stress and possibility of making a mistake can get thousands of people killed.

2 Likes

It all depends on the level of functioning. I’ve made some progress these couple of weeks. I feel more calm, more stable. I have less voices etc.

I would gladly start studying again. But I also feel like I’m too old. I’m 40 and going back to school is kind of embarrassing.

If other people’s lives depend on you then you need to be sure you can do it. Stress messes me up too.

Do you think you could do it? Having responsibility and all?

I don’t think this illness means you should just call it quits but as I said it’s up to your level of functioning?

3 Likes

I currently have the schizophreniform diagnoses, but believe my psychosis was triggered by stress.

1 Like

What are your symptoms?

delusional, visual hallucinations, olfactory hallucinations, voices.

edit: symptoms are in remission currently

1 Like

Ok! Are you on any meds? Do they work?

Here’s what it takes to have a career

• Shower every day
  • Deal with people politics every day
  • Commute to/from work every day
  • Sort out breakfast lunch dinner
  • Finally do the work you’re paid for
  • Work late more often than not
15 Likes

yes they work 151515

1 Like

Sounds good. You should recover but I think you need to stay on meds because of the vulnerability to stress.

1 Like

Yea I think I would cracked under stress regardless weather on meds or not.

2 Likes

We’ll see. Hopefully you will get stable enough.

1 Like

I hope onlookers can grasp that this is a reality. That we sz patients genuinely cant always accomplish this at all, all the time

1 Like

For me it does yes. I just don’t feel capable of it. Never have since psychosis. I used to think sooner or later I would sort of regain my functioning and feel ready to start work but over a decade now nothing has really changed. Im a lot less sedated on my current meds but I still need a lot of sleep. I never book morning appointments for this reason.

2 Likes

I believe if I find way to better manage my stress maybe I overcome the triggers of positive symptoms.

Not if you dream of being a janitor or a stock person.

1 Like

That wasn’t what was exactly dreaming about.

I definitely have given up on mine but I am learning that you can still make your life beautiful without a career

2 Likes

If I make a mistake, thousands of people wouldn’t be able to use the restroom or walk on a clean carpet.

Well, closer to thirty or forty people.

2 Likes

My career is tech. My passion is tech. I dont work in tech anymore but I have a tech blog and a tech youtube channel and I am writing a book. I dont make any money but that is a possibilty in the future. These dont cause me stress and give me freedom.

Have you thought about blogging/youtubing/writing book/content creation in your field?

that sound stressful too.

1 Like