Does anyone know if they will take a passport?

I have a passport already, and I’m worried I might have to enter a Federal building for Social Security, IRS, ect. I know Federal buildings are going to require a Real ID October 2021. Does anyone know if they will take a passport at the Federal buildings instead of a Real ID. I read TSA will for domestic flights, but I’m not planning on flying anywhere.

1 Like

My understanding is yes.

I had trouble getting a Real ID when the requirement was announced, so I eventually just renewed my passport.

Maybe I will try again for a Real ID.

2 Likes

Just looked it up. My state’s website says passport is sufficient to enter a secure federal building if you don’t have a Real ID.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of Real ID but you have to have legit ID to get a passport. I mean it’s not easy to get a passport so…

1 Like

Yeah, I finally found it too, that a passport will suffice to get you in a Federal building. It’s more difficult to get to my state government department that issues ID’s. With my arthritis, I don’t know how long I’ll be able to get around. Since I already have a passport, it can be renewed by mail. It’s just a matter of getting a photo made. They do passport photos at a pharmacy about a mile away.

I don’t drive anymore and was going to surrender my DL for a non-expiring state ID card, so I won’t have to go back and see the state ID people again. The non-expiring ID card is not Real. My passport expires December 2027.

I don’t have a passport. Just my local id. I am not planning to go anywhere.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.