Does anyone else symptoms increase in public?

I mainly only shop online. I’ve been feeling like I should go out more like even just to the library but it’s hard. I’ll get myself ready to go and then back out at the last minute. I’m sure it frustrates my husband

2 Likes

I hear you buddy. Its not easy. Small steps. Earphones help with me - if you got a tune playing in your head - it distracts you.

1 Like

I want to get earphones but I think I have to get the Bluetooth kind because my phone doesn’t have an earphone port

1 Like

Mine used to. The Cymbalta really cut down on my anxiety, which cut down on the stress which cut down on the symptoms. I can actually get my grocery shopping done now anxiety free and concentrate on my choices at the store. And I don’t feel like everybody is staring at me and knows what I’m thinking.

1 Like

My doctor gave me buspar for anxiety twice a day but I don’t think it helps at all just makes me dizzy for a bit when I take it. I’m going to ask if something else may be better for me

1 Like

Buspar never worked for me either. Vistaril worked a little bit, but the Cymbalta max dose was so life changing. I hope it never stops working. I never want to go back to being a slave to anxiety again.

1 Like

They can. Depends on the circumstances and my resilience that day.

When it happens in a crowded place I can feel everyone staring at me, stealing glimpses, I hear them talking about me in horrible ways, feeling they’re seconds away from attacking.

It’s not fun, sometimes I have to avoid places I know that can set me off. I attribute it to the paranoia and voices that come from the illness.

Sorry you have to deal with it.

1 Like

One trick that my psychiatric nurse recommended me was to wear headphones to distract from focusing on possible triggers. I definitely find it helpful. It makes me at ease and makes me stop worrying about how people are perceiving me. Its also just nice listening to music.

For a while I would have one headphone in like all the time even at home etc lol.

3 Likes

Going out in public places can make you more stressed out and anxious which in turn can trigger your symptoms more.
I for one will become more anxious and paranoid in public especially when I’m by myself.

2 Likes

Yes especially in crowded public places like restaurants, busy stores, etc. I try to avoid these places if I can and I always have my headphones on whenever I go outside.

1 Like

Most of the time. When I about to go out by myself I get a buzzing in the back of my head, I find it hard to speak, I can’t wear headphones anymore coz I rely on audio signals to alert me to things I might not see…but some days much less. But the scanning for threats never stops. I don’t think it can.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.