Does anyone else panic at night?

At night, once the persecuting voices have finally got the better of me I lose the ability to feel ok. I start to feel intense fear about my life and I feel lack of faith and then a fear of dying with nothing to do but stay dead in the ground and unaware. Then, my drug kicks in, I fall asleep in a panic but the next morning my faith revives and I feel good about the day ahead even with voices. Does anybody else go through something similar? If so, are there any ways of handling it?

I get panic attacks some nights. I use Valium.

I can relate, a little bit. I find myself going to sleep earlier when it starts to get dark outside because I’m afraid of hallucinating while it’s dark out, despite taking my antipsychotic. Maybe you can use melatonin to try and fall asleep? It has helped me.

1 Like

scared its normal.u need know why.is someone love u or someone hate u.after few times u will figure out
hallucination is also normal.people r thinking about u.but wrong idea. u find who is it.found out solve

1 Like

Am thinking of turning to medicine but maybe a self help book would be enough…

I see the benefit but I take Latuda which is as good as a sleeping pill because it makes you pass out three hours after taking it…

1 Like

I see. What time do you take it?

It’s a lot harder to ground myself at night. During the day I can find a balance of just enough stimulation to ground myself, but not too much so as to avoid getting stressed out. It’s all the little things during the day, the cars going down the road outside, people on walks, the mail man, squirrels in the back yard. Things that make me feel connected to the world just by seeing/hearing them. My dog will be awake and wanting to wrestle around the living room.

But at night time there is none of this, just the artificial lighting of an old lamp, the silence and stillness of a world that doesn’t seem quite right or completely real anymore. I wind up staying glued to the internet all night, trying to feel connected to reality and distracted.

5 Likes

About seven pm…

1 Like

Okay. Also I think I may have read one of your replies to me the wrong way. Do you mean that the medicine makes you sleep for three hours or it kicks in after waiting for three hours?

Just that it makes me sleep three hours after taking it!

1 Like

I feel fear in the night. Im trying to deal with it.

2 Likes

After being on klonopin twice a day the night panic has stopped. Overall I am feeling better. Ask your doctor what you can try. Paxil is a drug for panic more than klonopin. Ask your doctor about Paxil.

1 Like

I will get more Anxious at night.

I usually sleep with the TV on.

2 Likes

I also have anxiety at night. I take 2.5mg of diazepam before going to bed for it. I usually don’t need it during the day.

I used to have night terrors when I was floridly psychotic. I think that that fear still lingers.

I usually sleep well with the benzo, have so for the past year.

1 Like

This is a common phenomenon referred to as “sundown syndrome” by workers in hospitals. The change of staff and day to night disorients patients and confuses patients. Paranoid patients feel more threats because the dark is when threats are most dangerous. Same reason dark skin is feared; darkness means they can sneak up on you in the night. Uncertainty is what we fear, and the night and dark bring plenty of uncertainty.

4 Likes

I like the dark and the quiet. When everyone else is asleep so I’m the only conscious being. It’s cool and any electricity is off… When I’m awake all night sometimes, it can be a really nice time. It almost never was when I was young though.

1 Like

u will overcome it.its sth got to do with solar system.u will be more emotional at night.its sth to do with ur past life
be4 i have schizophrenia i also scared at night.i always scared of ghost.i was also stupid.never darent to hurt other people feeling.everybody cheated on me .
now i am not afraid anything.no one give me medicine when i went crazy.even my mom travel when she knows i have schizophrenia.i go through those 5 month all by myself.and now i getting better and better.lots voices guid me.and they wanna i take medicine.i know why.they r afraid i will found what behind my back .i am tough enough

2 Likes

Yes, I feel like I’m having a panic attack most nights…

I read a book called “Learning to Walk in the Dark” by Barbara Brown Taylor that has some great insights into human’s fear of the dark and gaining the ability to overcome that feast and learning to use darkness toward awareness, etc. Really insightful book, @mouse1977 :blush:

1 Like