Does anybody use the internet abbreviation "AFK" anymore?

I still use it but since over half the people are on their phones “Away from keyboard” doesn’t seem to make any sense for a lot of people now. I’m wondering if when I use it anyone knows what I’m talking about.

I just want to be one of the cool kids with their new fangled internet slang :sob:.

1 Like

I don’t go on chat groups anymore (do those even exist anymore?) So I don’t really use it. I use brb in texts that are active though sometimes.

1 Like

Brb sounds like a better alternative.

My kids use the term AFK grinding to refer to when they leave their video game character doing a repetitive task that earns them tiny points, and walk away for hours and come back to thousands of points.

1 Like

@Bowens it pretty much became popular in video games and is used as frequently as it ever was there.

Personally I’ve never really used it outside of video games. I think that’s something mostly older people who didn’t play video games did.

Sucks getting older right? I don’t care for newer words like “yeet” or “based”. It’s just kids trying very hard to make up new words so they can have an identity. But I do kind of care too much when internet words are misused (like calling mean people trolls). Probably because I’m too attached to those words.

2 Likes

I love them. Mostly, what I love is intentionally misusing them so my kids will call me “cringe”

2 Likes

I’m never on a keyboard, I’m always on my phone.
It doesn’t apply to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.