Does anybody have advice on courses to get into social work or work in the psychiatric field

I want to get some work helping the mentally ill but Im hoping to find a course which will get my foot in the door in the mental health field. Have you any advice on courses?

Here in the states, the colleges have certain requirements that you must fulfill in order to get a degree in anything. There are general requirements, and requirements for your major. So I guess I would suggest looking into a school that offers a social work or psychology degree. My school doesn’t offer a social work degree, but does offer a psychology degree. If I wanted to go into social work after that, I would apply to a grad school that offers a social work degree. But I don’t, I want to be a psychologist.

Bump to the top…anyone else got advice on this…should I bother with college or do you know a route into mental health/psychiatric field. personally Id like to work in a group home as a social worker? Any ideas on how?

I strongly caution against this…you will never trust another human being again if you work in this environment and ever change/reduce your medications. The psych doctors and the staff will play with your head so badly, even lying to you about the patients in your care with intent to get you fired or upset so badly you explode and need forced psych care…Even if you have worked with the psych docs & social workers for years they will pull this crap, expect this as it is just part of the mental care smoke & mirrors…The mental health field is very detrimental employment if you EVER visited a psychiatrist for anything…the mental care employees/coworkers will haunt you.

Please Google ‘gang stalking’ and ‘cause stalking’ so you understand how some of the closet psychotics deal with their symptoms including stalking strangers with private information, vandalisms, trespassing, harassing coworkers/customers, dating specific people with intention of abuse…Some of the 1 million+ posts under this topic are a little confused but some are very well presented…there is even a nice network news story from California about this on Youtube. Do understand, mental care refuses to discuss these topics calling it delusional and refuses to help very confused people leaving some to go insane, self harm or shoot up a movie theater thinking he is a cartoon character…

If you want to proceed anyway see if your state has a Compeer training program and you can work with the new mental illness cases coming through the govt mental health center…From there, you can get Associates & Bachelors & drive your car everyday until it quits on you to drive the new mental illness patients to all the court ordered mental care appointments, welfare office appointments, necessary md appointments and shopping before you balance their checkbook and tell them to take a shower, brush teeth and hair then supervise medication. For this you get $12 per hour on average…you need a master’s degree to work in any part of social work except driving around mental care clients like a taxi for the non-functioning. Social worker therapists are really nothing more than interventionists except for harassment/threats of still-functioning patients, these folks only get their training from self help books. Psychiatrist (meds) or psychologist (no meds) need a masters at a minimum to work in this field…

Why don’t you try to volunteer at the local emergency services charity for a while? Helping with the school supply drive in August, food hand outs, cemetery burials for indigents, food handouts, coats, bus tickets back to where they came from…Then think about things some more.

Once you experience the ‘social problems’ of schizo, meaning the gang stalking and cause stalkers a job where you work alone is very desirable. You can fill out the US food stamp application & check mark Vocational Rehabilitation and a social worker will get you into some additional training to get you employed at survival wages at least unless you try to work retail/fast food full-time…

You MUST realize some of the college staff & instructors participate in gang stalking too and allow the students to do so during class. You can try to get help through the school’s Disability Services Department with a note from your mental care doctors but we aware it is now policy to refuse usable doctor’s notes to new patients. So if you move to go to school, you need to get the doctor’s statement from your previous care and also ask to pickup the paperwork from the psych doctors, NEVER send it directory or some psych doctors will completely shatter your credibility with the school… If you are bullied out of school, you will have to pay back the Federal Student Loans immediately so you really need to take 2-3 classes at a college and pay cash to make sure the school does not practice discrimination due to mental health diagnosis. I even attended a school that kept professors who had been sued for mistreating a mentally ill student and whole city where this was located had such bad mental care, I was unable to get help from Disability Support Services at the college and ended up dropping due to the severity of the harassment at the school…I’ve had a professor trying to get dates…deviated from syllabus so badly I wondered if I would fail as I never showed up with the right homework and always stayed til the end of class and allowed several classmates to talk crazy throughout class in disruptive manner. Just be aware of ‘reality’ …Some online classes can be ruined, especially if the class it IT. The tech pricks can really be a problem if they don’t like you and you ask too many questions…I got a funny looking file from professor instead of good answer to a question and then my computer crashed…It really is dog eat dog out there…

You know you can never show any anger to your mental care staff or you will be forced into mental hospitalization for months sometimes at your own expense, arrested in front of your own home and neighbors. If you don’t like your care, quietly switch psych doctors.