Does anybody get a consistent effect from their antipsychotic?

I’ve just had a kind of a meh day that is now looking like it’s going to get better. I’m stable on my AP, don’t get me wrong, but in every other respect, it’s like it works intermittently.

Does anybody get a consistent effect from their AP?

I have good and bad days so I guess my AP is not so consistent?

I don’t know what it is but I have lots of ups and downs and everything in between.

3 Likes

I don’t think mine is consistent. I have ups and downs. I still “hallucinate” and have “delusions” but just not every day.

3 Likes

My meds run out about 3x per week. When this happens i get really stressful withdrawals

1 Like

i didnt have ANY positives on aripiprazole for about two or three years
none zero nothing not a even a little bit

i do have ups and downs that are maybe more pronounced than what “normal people” experience
but not positives

2 Likes

It sounds like you’ve been struggling with depression lately? Have you ever considered an AD?

1 Like

I think my med is consistent but maybe it is my sz that is up and down. Dunno. Maybe it is the med.

2 Likes

SZ is always a roller coaster even if you are stable on meds because some times they cop out just when you need them.

I think it’s all related to stress. And who can control that no matter how many meds you take?

After over 10 years my Doctor gave me more and I just up my dose myself if I start feeling stranger.
But usually when you get worse you don’t really know it and then disaster strikes like the normal tumultuous cycle. :fire::cloud_with_lightning:

1 Like

Things have actually gotten back to normal depression wise. I cut down on the strength of my coffee, and took vitamin D. This seemed to be enough to get me out of severe depression land. But yeah, that period wasn’t pleasant.

2 Likes

So you’re getting psychotic symptoms poking through? That’s rough, could be Abilify is losing its effectiveness for you…maybe look into raising the dose

1 Like

I guess I must be the exception from what others have posted. My medication is extremely consistent. My positive symptoms have been gone for a long time, and since I have been taking sarcosine my negative symptoms are very mild. Good luck @everhopeful

3 Likes

I hate to say it but I feel like consistent ■■■■ on Latuda. Its just the way these medicines work

2 Likes

No, I’m stable on it, no psychotic symptoms.

The problem is It seems like the negative symptoms are inconsistent. Abilify is supposed to help those. But the effect is really inconsistent.

Having said that APs aren’t very good at negative symptoms anyway, so maybe that’s the reason.

1 Like

Maybe being inconsistent, sometimes ok sometimes bad, is better than being bad all the time?

When I took Invega I had no positive symptoms. Like, it was just gone. But now I’m off Invega because of side effects and everything is messed up.

1 Like

That’s what I’m beginning to think.

1 Like

Yeah we learned in my classes that APs really aren’t designed to target negative symptoms, only positive…they are still working on meds that take care of both.

Abilify is supposed to be less likely to make negative symptoms worse due to it not blocking as much dopamine, but it’s not necessarily meant to make them better :confused:

2 Likes

I’m really stable and steady on my AP but if my AD is to low I will get the roller coaster feelings. Also if I’m drinking alcohol or binging on sugar. So I stay away from those things.

2 Likes

This is similar to the daily AD and AP I take. I still get roller coaster feelings, but the AD helps. I know I’ve typed this before, but the Zoloft/Seroquel combination gives me a synergistic effect. Works consistently. When I wake up, sometimes I feel as though neurotransmitters have been restored/replaced. Then throughout the day/night I get overloaded, maybe losing neurotransmitters. This is my daily cycle and is consistent. I still have negative symptoms and maybe delusions or whatever, but my medicinal combination helps me feel better and gives me energy and helps me concentrate a little better.

1 Like