Does any of you live in a permanent facility?

What is it like? Do you miss the outside world? Do they treat you good? Psychiatric institutions start quite bad. I think it started as a punishment. I pray you are well.

2 Likes

Lived in a Theraputic Community Hospital for a year if that counts. Drug Free therapy for those with Personality Disorders. Had the top Psychologists mandated from the Uk Home Office.

We cooked and ate as a community - and we were known as residents not patients.
It was the community that voted in new patients not the staff.

Certainly changed my life - and had i not had all that - i reckon i would have had no insight into my later diagnosed Schizophrenia.

It was the type of place where you went thru every emotion possible. Bloody hard but worth it.

3 Likes

Think the longest person to live in a facility here was @martinhersey

13 years if im not mistaken

5 Likes

You’re not mistaken.

1 Like

My uncle with sz lives in a psychiatric care home. They have one hot meal a day, they do his laundry,… it’s not that bad but some people who live there are dangerous and very ill. They once asked him to leave because they thought he could manage on his own, but he refused since he likes the amenities.

Also his benefits are tied to taking a shot. That’s why he doesn’t quit his meds. He has no insight.

1 Like

Covid has made my group home a semi-pernanent facility. On the average week we go to the convenience store one day a week. Otherwise we go to doctor’s appointments or nowhere at all. We wear masks everywhere we go and have seen our relatives 3-5 times since the pandemic began. We also have to meet visitors on the outside deck with our masks on and have only recently been allowed to stay at our relatives overnight. No one has been allowed to stay with a girlfriend overnight either. With Omicron coming I can only cringe.

What country are you in? That sounds rather extreme and unhealthy.

In the US of all places.

What state, then?

I used to live in one.

Sorry can’t give the state. I have few options and I fear retribution.

Why would naming the state result in “retribution”? That sounds like a wildly abusive living environment.

In the assisted living center where I live life isn’t bad. I’ve been here twenty years, but most people don’t stay nearly that long. They stop here to get their situation straightened out, and then they head on down the road. I’ve only been in a couple of other assisted living centers for a short while. They didn’t seem bad, but I wasn’t there long enough to really tell. If these places get a few hard cases in them the quality of life can change, but that rarely happens.

The only alternatives are a low income apartment in a high crime area or a homeless shelter. It’s not all bad. The food and drugs come to the house. We have a nice place in the backyard to admire nature on nice days. And the reason they shut us down for so long is that the local hospital takes in patients from surrounding counties and has needed the national guard to come in due to covid a number of times, They did take us to get our shots and rode us through the countryside and drivethroughs a few times. I can’t complain about everything. I just think that at this point they are overreacting to covid-19 and I wonder when enough is going to be enough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.