Doctors and SZ

Why are docs so hesitant to diagnose sz?

Stigma.

Im 16, so I assume the reason my doc wont diagnose me yet is she doesn’t want to scare me. We both know I have SZ, but neither one of us will say the word out loud.

It’s a horrible illness.

Because once a scz always an scz.

You can’t own a gun.

You can’t work for the gov or military.

You are of lesser moral status, tainted and discounted.

You are taken with a grain of salt, and if you retaliate, they will hate you more.

You cannot be the mother of a child on meds.

You will have an incredibly hard time getting married if you are male.

You will be on meds with horrible side effects for the rest of your life.

You are a joke to most people, and sick and dangerous to the rest.

You are not to be trusted.

You are unstable and unpredictable and did I mention dangerous?

You are a burden to the govt with your disability checks.

You are not even human.

You are to be avoided.

I’m schizophrenic and I’m also researching stigma in school, writing my thesis on it.

This is what the public thinks.

3 Likes

This is so true, it sucks, but it’s true.

That comment obviously stood out. Why is it easier for women with schizophrenia to marry?

A dx of SZ carries a lot of weight. Its not taken lightly. Docs have to look at all the facts and look at the big picture. Often the patient is not forthcoming with their symptoms. So sometimes it takes months or years to dx it.

1 Like

Probably because all women are gold diggers and don’t want a man who is on disability as his main source of income.

Cmon relax I’m half kidding.

1 Like

Why The Hell Do You Even Care … ,

It’s a Piece Of Paper … ,

If You L.O.V.E. Someone You Don’t Need a Piece of Paper To Prove Your Love … ,

Embrace Each Other Under Tha Flashing Stars During Tha Midnite Hours Of Forever and Nvr Let Go … ,

Get Tattoos Together , Call it a Wedding Day Yo …

1 Like

Hi Mortimer, I really believe this part especially 'you are taken with a grain of salt, and if you retaliate, they will hate you more

1 Like

Later onset is one reason

2 Likes

I think there are a number of reasons:

1. Many people tend to think wrongly that if you have schizophrenia you don’t have much chance of recovery - where now we know that with good support and therapy and medications - people can do very well. Without the diagnosis - people won’t fall into the trap of thinking that the person won’t do well, won’t recover, won’t enjoy life, etc.

2. Diagnoses Change - very often. Why give someone a diagnosis when it frequently isn’t right?

3. Self-stigma - people tend to think they can’t do as much when they’ve been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

4. Other stigma - some people judge you differently

1 Like