Doctor brushed off my negative symptoms and said I have to try harder

Pdoc appointment today. He refused to believe seroquel was contributing to my negative symptoms. In fact he never explored my negative symptoms at all. All he said was meds weren’t everything and if I don’t try harder he is going to stop my support worker.

And guess what I left the appointment with a script for more meds. Ridiculous

3 Likes

Same here j…doc of mine says i should work harder he even says med are not everything… …

1 Like

I get no where with mine, they don’t believe anything I tell them, even though it’s 100% true, it is like talking to a brick wall and drives a person even crazier.

1 Like

Yeah he even said I was lying to him! He didn’t entertain my complaints about negative symptoms in the slightest. He even put my meds up!

2 Likes

That’s the standard answer for everything, I’ve noticed

2 Likes

No one who hasn’t taken the medications can understand how deadening they can be. It sounds to me like that doctor just didn’t want to take the time to respond to your plea. It seems to me that psychiatry in public mental hospitals is done on an assembly line basis. Psychiatrists are harried by a lack of resources, but these are our lives they’re playing with.

1 Like

I told him I spend 23 hours a day in bed. He said try harder. I explained I have zero motivation so how am I supposed to try harder. If sz was as simple as trying harder it wouldn’t have such a burden of disability. He said if I don’t try harder he is going to cancel my support worker.

Way to go doc! ■■■■■■■

1 Like

I had some similar experiences, one doctor even said that I’m healthy and that it is just my ‘character’.

Are they all the same?

He should try a shot of ap in this butt and 600mg of seroquel a day then let me tell him to try harder under the threat of removing support.

3 Likes

The truth to makes negative symptoms disappear is to try harder, but I’m not sure if meds can have a participation on it (I never took Seroquel).

If you can try harder then you have no negative symptoms!

1 Like

Like @Mountainman said, it seems upping the meds is the answer for just about everything. Sorry you have to deal with this, @Jimbob. I have had some pretty unfeeling pdocs over the years. It really sucks, I know.

1 Like

I think some doctors think the only people who have negative symptoms are hobos with birds living in their beards.

1 Like

I don’t know your situation, but my doc was right in saying I should try harder. In fact, it was even worse than he said. I actually did not try at all when I was struggling. I was only thinking about how I would fail, how hard things would be, how I felt I didn’t have the strength for it and so on. These thoughts do not amount to trying, I think now. When I am having difficulties getting things done, I picture to myself someone recovering from a broken leg, taking his first steps carefully while holding someone’s hand. That is what trying looks to me.

2 Likes

I remember when I had some negative symptoms as apathy. It was terrible. Neither antipsychotics and neither antidepressants worked. I think there are posts of me in this forum in which I argued about negative symptoms. The only way I was able to cope with that is by looking at possibilities and having positivity. It was tough.

1 Like

Without my family I would end up like this :slight_smile:

my voices are telling me I’ll be like crimby :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

i dont even know what that means ‘try harder’?

i mean wtf is that supposed to mean, if my p/doc spoke to me like that i’d be seriously pissed off :confused:

i would tell him to try harder rather than threatening to take away the support? i thought it was supposed to be his job to make you feel better.

sorry, i’m just in a really bad mood :confused:

3 Likes

I think you are justified @Resilient1 - he is an ■■■■■■■ with zero empathy. And threatening to remove services is just wrong. All stick and no carrot. Disgraceful

You should have brushed your boots off his backside. He deserves to be smacked and needs to try harder not to be a prick.