Do you write with a lot of parentheses (like this)?

I recall in English class learning that writing with lots of parentheses indicated poor organization.

I find I naturally write with lots of them (I don’t think linearly). I was curious if other people here do too. Do you?

2 Likes

I don’t hardly ever use them. But it’s not a big deal you do unless you want a job that requires good writing skills

1 Like

I do this too. Admittedly, I’m also poorly organized.

1 Like

I don’t use parentheses much, but I do use lots of commas to break up the flow. I think I’m just too lazy to think of what I need to say in a more organized way

Plus, if I stop to think about it, I will lose my train of thought I forget what I was even thinking

1 Like

I sometimes end up using them when I think of something to add when I have finished a post and can’t think of an easy way to edit my post without using them.

1 Like

Never (Well, occasionally).

2 Likes

I use them occasionally.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone does. People just reorganize their thoughts when writing to make them clear and easier to follow.

1 Like

I use them occasionally, but I didn’t know it represented disorganization. Learnt something new today.

1 Like

I can see how they can be perceived as poor organization, but if you’re just writing a rough draft or first draft you can be really sloppy in organization. When you polish everything up later you should be able to work everything in with proper punctuation. But if you can’t do that its more than just poor organization, it might be time management, not knowing proper writing conventions, laziness, (or love of parentheses).

2 Likes

Yes, unless you’re writing something formal, it could just be a personal style.

1 Like

My EF isn’t very good. I use quite a lot of parentheses.

1 Like

Parentheses come in very handy in mathematics and in programming since they provide clarity in the order of operations.

In written language, often the reverse is true. Using too many parentheses can result in a lack of clarity.

2 Likes

When I go on rants I sometimes do.

1 Like

Normally, when I used to do programming, I used it alot.

Not so much in other scenarios.

:computer:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.