Do you want to hear a sad true story?

When my daughter graduated high school, at her party, she had so many people,

distant cousins, my dad, aunts and uncles, townspeople, she got 5K dollars, helped a lot with college.

When my son with Down syndrome graduated, at his party, there was very few that came, and my dad and best aunt didn’t even acknowledge it. It was forgotten. Overlooked.

With my dad, when the kids were in teen years, at Christmas, Beth would get a hundred dollar check, and Alec would get 50.

On a plus side, saw my son yesterday, and he came right out and gave me a big hug, made my day. We held hands and talked.

15 Likes

@Daze,
I sympathize with your story; I’m really sorry to hear about your son not getting the acknowledgement that he truly deserves.
It seems like, people with disabilities (especially genetic) don’t get enough appreciation and attention.
I also have a genetic abnormality. Mine is not a chromosomal disorder, but is still a genetic disorder.
Just because I’m disabled nor walk properly, I don’t get all the love. I’m often seen as the family member that “brings out all the money” because of the money that my family has to use for my treatment. I’m not considered normal, or “healthy”.
I’m not recognized rightly by the doctors, whom my mother took me everywhere to be seen.
It’s just really a discrimination that people with genetic disorders face. It’s just so horrible.
They often don’t see behind the genetic abnormality that we have, and just disregard us.
Please know that your son is amazing, beautiful, talented, and intelligent. He can and will do great things.

I’m here for you!
Let me know if you need to talk. I’ll be here to help.

2 Likes

I don’t place my kids or grandkids above each other. my mother and grandmother had their favorites. I was granny favorite my brother is Mom’s favorite. My dad did not how favorites but he is passed.

It was really sad, my heart messed up, those with down syndrome are the most kind of this world,

1 Like

honey, he was so excited for the people who came. it’s all good.

2 Likes

Quality over quantity. Congratulations to both of your children for graduating. Highschool is tough in more ways than academics.

1 Like

That’s really messed up. I can tell that you really love your kids. It’s good that you’re there for them.

1 Like

They live in a world that we can’t understand but for sure kindness and loyalty is some of its characteristics, is he alive now?

1 Like

yeah, he’s 26, and very happy. He’s living with my parents, of my mom.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying, let’s wish a long and happy life for him :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

The difference in the checks really bothers me.

Hope he’s doing well!

1 Like

yeah, he’s at camp this weekend, they all love him there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.