Do you want to be a scholar?

I no longer crave knowledge. And to think I gave up sex for that, lol.

I enjoy learning. Learning things not because you need them, but just because you can is true luxury. I don’t care what label people stick on that.

2 Likes

My dad is senile and my mom is depressed. I’m all alone now. I need a couch buddy.

I want to be a gentleman and a scholar. One out of two ain’t bad.

1 Like

Philosophy, religion, psychology, bore me. I thought I’d study the DUNE saga.

1 Like

It’s probable DUNE is real in some galaxy?

1 Like

I ate a family size box of Lucky Charms in 24 hours.

1 Like

Doubtful. BTW, avoid the ones Herbert’s son co-authored with Kevin J. Anderson. Poorly conceived and even more poorly written. They are a special kind of vile.

1 Like

I was a scholar to the tune of $70,000 in student loans…I would’ve loved going on to get my doctorate but was loathe to get more loans…I think my Masters degree would’ve been better used as toilet paper since I’ve never done more than a year’s worth of work with it. Luckily, my doctor said I was “permanent and totally disabled” and those student loans disappeared. I still like learning, tho, even when sza symptoms make it difficult.

4 Likes

Same for my degree but its not a master, just bachelor/major. I can’t even work at mcdonald on my current med risperidone. I can’t volunteer or work at all. On Abilify the longest I worked was almost 1 month but I had serious issues and side effects. I was on Abilify for 8yrs.

I am a scholar on greek poetry, revolutions and theology

1 Like

I’m not into academia. Too boring.

1 Like

I am too old to go back to university now.
I am 32y.o.

1 Like

I think you’re never too old. But you need to be really passionate about a subject to successfully complete a degree.

Nowerdays there are plenty of programs for adults in distance education and the likes.

1 Like

Last time I was in university class was 2019. I was 29y.o. and students were 20y.o. I felt old and like I didn’t belong there.

2 Likes

I did my first round of uni age 16-21. And my second round 25-33. But first time was face-to-face. Second time was distance education.

I think studying via distance education is a good option when you’re older and don’t want to be stuck with people in their late teens, early twenties.

1 Like

Wow, 16y.o. at university? Here the min age at university is 19y.o.

1 Like

Yeah. I was 2 years ahead in school. Normal age is 18-19 here to go to uni.

1 Like

Nice. I started university in 2010 I was 20y.o. I lost 1yr bcz I was an immigrant. Usually immigrants lose 2-3yrs here but I was too good in math so the teacher only made me lose 1yr. I was diagnosed with psychosis at the end of my 1st semester put on Abilify then took a few yrs off. Came back studying in 2014 then in 2016 stopped my Abilify and all meds, went into psychosis again.

Went back again to studying in 2018 and in early 2019 I finished my program. Some classes I got A and some classes I got D. Luckily the classes I got 50s% in their passing grade was 50%. I was surprised. A few days ago I received an email from my university to do my graduation ceremony as it was cancelled due to covid before. I am not going.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t have the best possible experience. I didn’t go to the graduation either second time around. I would have to travel to the UK and with Covid I still don’t feel like it.

Here immigrants usually struggle academically because of language barriers, but some do succeed.

I only got my first psychosis when I was 24 and already working for 3 years.

1 Like