Do you think there is dumbness in sz or its just me?

I think schizophrenia makes you “dumb”, and the drugs used to treat schizophrenia make you “dumb” too. So, it’s a double whammy. This is all backed by science.

Nah, the meds I take help me a lot. Help with concentration, for instance. I can focus mentally a lot better when I’m on the daily meds. Increases my energy level, too, so I can accomplish more on a daily basis.

I really don’t understand why meds don’t help some people. I have theories, but don’t understand.

@SlowMotional, yeah maybe you are right. without my meds I am in my bed dying. literally… maybe they help depression also? but in a higher doses I have some really strange effects also. ok, I continue taking them. tough illness but its okay for the moment.
hugs

Well, I’ve been on an anti-depressant and anti-psychotic for years. Combined, definitely helps depression along with schizophrenia. Without the AD, I know the feeling. The feeling of loneliness and almost despair get really intensified without the AD. Lie in bed and would feel dull and just extra aching for love but the tendency for social isolation seems to prevail.

“A high IQ is like height in a basketball player,” says David Perkins, who studies thinking and reasoning skills at Harvard Graduate School of Education in Cambridge, Massachusetts. "It is very important, all other things being equal. But all other things aren’t equal. There’s a lot more to being a good basketball player than being tall, and there’s a lot more to being a good thinker than having a high IQ.

so yes it is complex on how well we are doing depending how bad our symptoms may be

Twas an a student back then, tortured and drugged, now not so much of an a student.

The fact that i was tortured and everyone thinks it’s a disease isn’t making it better at all.

I’m very careful who i call stupid now, for all that i know the guy just watched his child die last week. I know full well what shitty things do to the central nervous system and also other parts of the body. I’m very careful who i call stupid or dumb now.

Not dumb really, just battered and bruised, burnt and charred. Drowned in pain and disgusting feelings.

thank you guys :slight_smile:
I am just trying to stay positive now. the other good thing is that I try not to criticize myself anymore and to let me down. maybe its a depression. or the problems with cognitive thinking in sz. I continue taking meds, I wont do it without them I guess. ive accepted my illness already, it helped too… I remained for years without thinking and doing things so I missed a lot in my life because of all this. but whatever, I believe in a better life even with sz…
yeap, sometimes good iq doesn’t help really. i had the delusion of grandeur on this a bit i guess. now, i know its not the real life all this… i am mad when somebody doesn’t understand me but its my illness. i spent years not talking when i had my diagnosis…
so keep going, just try not to go deeper in despair…
hugs to all :slight_smile:

With good treatment the negative self talk goes away. At one point, months ago, I had such persistent negative thoughts about myself and others I was seriously considering I was a minor demon or something. Much, much better now, pretty positive throughout the day, good regimen.

yeap, me too @naturallycured I have my moments when I feel a lot of guilt or shame. for me meds are helping at 40 % maximum. sometimes I cant even get a joke or a movie, it sucks… i avoid social contacts now, its too much suffering for me still but its a pity all this…

I think schizophrenia drugs can affect cognition and schizophrenia also. But, there are ways to counteract these effects. Here are a few things you can do:

1. Take nootropic medication (available online or from your pdoc)
  2. Get out and socialize every day (face to face and in person. Not online)
  3. Read every day
  4. Consider learning how to play a musical instrument.
  5. Do crossword puzzles every day.
  6. Try to be a multi tasker. (Do two or more things at once).
  7. Eat a nutritious diet of fruits, veggies, whole grains, meats, oils, legumes, seeds, and dairy.
  8. Get regular aerobic, strength, and flexibility exercise of at least 2 hours a week.
  9. Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.

I highly recommend everything on this list. I follow everything on the list except the crossword puzzles.

1 Like

I’m paranoid about stupidity, too. I do several things to counteract my concerns.

1. Study hard for my exams to make sure I’m at my best
  2. Talk about whatever I’m learning about to other people to make sure I’m remembering it properly
  3. Do puzzles (this includes puzzle games) regularly
  4. Double check the meaning of words if I’m seriously hung up on whether or not I’m using one correctly

I often negatively self-talk when I feel like I’m being especially stupid, but I’ve been working to stop that. It’s never helpful to tell yourself you’re dumb or that you can’t function right. It’s more helpful to think of things in terms of learning and growth.

1 Like