Do you think the USA underestimates the rest of the world?

There are brilliant people all around the world. Most the stuff we hear in the USA is about Iran fostering terrorism. North Korea developing nuclear warheads. Russia meddling with the elections. Canadians and their Tim Hortons. China and communism. Sierra Leone and their blood diamonds.

Does your country bring something to the table that we are missing?

Mmm Tim Hortons… Finland introduces sisu to the table. Ya know, not giving up. Of course, given this country’s history with Russian and Swedish rule, something like sisu is bound to come out of it. I’d love a double-double from Tims right about now.

3 Likes

The definition of sisu is badass thanks.

Sisu is a Finnish concept described as stoic determination, tenacity of purpose, grit, bravery, resilience,[1][2] and hardiness[3][4] and is held by Finns themselves to express their national character.

3 Likes

Oh definitely, for sure.

1 Like

I don’t want this to turn into a heated political argument but right now the U.S. is doing a great job of pissen alot of people and countries off. We’ll be in 1984 before we know it. Sadly.

Edt: so my point is that our shitlist is getting bigger everyday.

2 Likes

I definitely think we underestimate/ take for granted other countries. We aren’t making any friends right now…

2 Likes

We can’t pay attention to a million details. We don’t live in other countries day to day and we can’t read their leaders mind. The only constant in the world is change and we can’t be everywhere at once. So with these basic facts, it’s hard to predict who is going to cause trouble. We have the CIA working on keeping tabs of where the most danger is but we don’t know other leaders plans and ambitions. We have our traditional enemies but since the world is inherently dangerous and unpredictable we can’t control everything.

I don’t know if “underestimate” is the right word. It’s probably accurate in most cases but we have an idea of who to be wary of.

2 Likes

I think that my country Britain brings a lot to the table. The main thing I think is a degree of unity from the old empire countries that now form the Commonwealth.

It’s over 50 countries and covers off about 2 billion people, and the British monarch is head of state for some of those places too, which is pretty unusual compared to the rest of the world.

America sure has the military power, as do many other countries now. But we have more diplomatic strings we can pull - soft power.

I am not saying that Britain is the best or anything like that, as we all make mistakes. However, we have a disproportionate ability due to history that puts us in an advisory position unlike any other nation of our size.

1 Like

Lol What do you have against our Tim Hortons? :open_mouth:Ah yeah, the food is disgusting… :face_vomiting:

1 Like

So does this mean India will be on Britain’s side in a war?

Commonwealth countries

image Commonwealth, Map

I think my beef with Tim Hortons arises out of jealousy. :innocent::sunglasses:

I think if the scale of the war meant that every country had to pick a side due to existential crisis, we have a political structure in place, so we’d have a door open.

It would entirely depend on the nature of it, and whether Britain sticks to its protective strategy to uphold its shared values that make up the common wealth.

To be honest, military power is a bit outdated now unless you want to attack a country that has no alliances with a nuclear state.

MAD has completely changed the game, and I doubt we will see a traditional war like the two world wars again any time soon. just proxy wars.

We have entered a long period of stagnation in my view, where the nuclear deterrents are doing their job, and protecting countries.

The only problem is that now several countries have the keys to the car, if they decide to crash it we all will die.

It will also mean the world is stuck, and things will not be allowed to evolve as they have done in the past.

That’s just my take on it anyway

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.