Do you think SZA/SZ''s are treated better them PD's in psych wards?

Are people with psychotic illnesses treated better then people with personality disorders in psych words? Do

2 Likes

That’s a hard call. I’d imagine it’s an even split, but psychotically violent people are treated with more force.

Horrible when I was in mental teenage hospital( I prefer staying with adults than teenagers), I had no rights as patient and the rules were arbitrary certain people can break them without consequences while someone like me, would have gotten severely punished. My break came to me, when the doctor finally saw that I am not schizophrenic but rare breed of autism.

both are hugely stigmatized, maybe more so than any other mental illnesses short of something like Munchhausen syndrome i would guess. ive been effectively told i probably have both schizophrenia and personality disorders but i never went to the hospital while actively psychotic (first trip was before i developed schizophrenia, second it was already under total control, i was just having mood problems) and ive only been diagnosed with the personality disorders since then so i have no idea how i wouldve been treated in the psych ward if that had been on paper then. i do know once when i went to the hospital while panicking and suicidal one night when the woman doing the interview found out i was schizophrenic, without me even being actively psychotic, took it wayyyy more seriously that she would have otherwise and even said “with that diagnosis i have to take this very serious” even tho i ended up not getting admitted because the head doctor was like nah

I once new a nurse that on finding out I was SZA she had a face that could curdle wet concrete.

3 Likes

I have paranoid schizophrenia and I got treated fine by staff except for some isolated incidents. But I also didn’t cause trouble. I saved that for when I got addicted to drugs 5 years later after my initial hospitalizations.

Literally when I was in the hospital at age 21 the only thing I did wrong in 8 months was helping some guy steal coffee from the kitchen after it was closed and locked. And we didn’t get caught.
Ironically, that was before I even liked drinking coffee.

@bobbilly are u in India now.!!! Come to nepal as well…

1 Like

I think they are treated worse because they are usually less likely to cooperate.

1 Like

I think people in psych wards just want the least drama. They are there for a paycheck.

3 Likes

Because of my Schizoaffective diagnosis, I was held in the psych Hospital for an extended period of time.

Those diagnosed with a bipolar diagnosis were in and out quickly.

I was treated like garbage by the ER doctors and psych hospital staff because of my schiz dx.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you were treated like garbage by the hospital staff, @Wave. I’ve been treated the same way by hospital staff and also by the police.

2 Likes

Thank you @SkinnyMe.
I’m sorry you were mistreated also.

2 Likes

It also depends on factors outside your diagnosis, like your social skills, your charm, and so on. It’s how you handle yourself. If you’re wildly psychotic they’re going to handle you roughly. Probably strap you to a bed and give you a heavy shot of valium. It depends on whether or not your symptoms are under control. If you go around saying you’re God, you’re going to get a lot of negative feedback. I’d say personality disorders probably get treated better, but not always.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.