Do you think psychosis can cause trauma?

Is psychosis ever so distressing or scary that it is genuinely traumatic? I feel like I might have psychosis trauma.

9 Likes

I hallucinated violent images for a year before I received treatment. Now when I see violent images in real life, it triggers me badly and I get very upset. I cannot watch horror films anymore. You could say it caused trauma.

9 Likes

I have shared many times here about my experiences with feeling like i’m being sent messages everywhere but especially on the web since it’s where i’m most at. It could be a sympton of my illness but now whenever I think about something and see it or something related on the web it makes me paranoid.

2 Likes

Im similiar to sweetpotatofries, i hallucinated during horror situations including about ghost like topics and can no longer handle certain forms of media because of the uncomfort

I couldnt play metal gear solid v, becauae of the ghost technology on that game. And cant play resident evil bc zombies are no longer fun

3 Likes

Dont worry skygazer. Youre situation will improve. I hallucinated technology hacks and messages too. Or made a delusion out of messages and technology coincidences and had been hospitalised plenty time bc of this specifically. But its improved, i hardly ever get phased now. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yes it can be traumatic but when I was sick I had tons of fanciful delusions that made me happy. So it depends.

I was dancing in the road and dancing and singing in the park.

I had full on UB40 concerts in my room.

Meds and working was traumatic. But different meds and not working was somber and normal but the negatives and not being active did me wrong.

3 Likes

You live and you learn.

3 Likes

Psychosis can absolutely be traumatic. It can be incredibly distressing and that by definition would make it a traumatic experience

6 Likes

Trauma means a deeply distressing experience, so yea it was traumatic.

Nothing I experienced has ever been that traumatic, things have happened in real life now that bring me back there in some sense.

1 Like

Yes I think it can be. Thinking about things like being cuffed and taken to the hospital in an ambulance make me cringe. I don’t know if it meets the diagnostic criteria but it feels traumatic.

3 Likes

I agree with everyone. The worst incident in my life was my first psychotic episode high on mushrooms suffering from an excruciating anxiety. I still have relapse to that period, even its 35 years ago or something like that.

1 Like

Yes. Very. It was extremely traumatizing. Both psychosis and the response of the MH team.

1 Like

For me psychosis was really traumatic. The worst thing was that I was not able to trust myself. The things I thought were true, were not, and my mind did tricks to me. It was all a lie. That was the worst thing. The things I believed in were horrible and scary. It’s a relieve that they were not real, but I was SURE they were, and the pain I felt was so intense.

I lost my creativity and ability make art, when I got on right medication and psychosis went away. Learning how to create again from 0 was hard and took years.

My biggest fear is to get another psychosis. I’m terrified of it. That is why I do everything to not experience it again… for the 16 I’ve been in remission, maybe some relapses here and there but luckily I haven’t gotten really ill.

2 Likes

Same here. I get psychosis because of my ocd. The intrusive thoughts get really bad. I just hallucinated my friend committing sucde and it literally drove me to tears. I get intrusive thoughts about my close friends which can get really distressing aka bad things happening to them. It sucks.

Oh definitely. I went into a point of psychosis for a long while that was absolutely mortifying once I came to my senses. I became so embarrassed at how I appeared publicly that I never fully recovered. I feel awful that I’m still isolated from so many people I know, but reaching out after that display is so hard.

:dizzy: Spicy trauma is spicy :dizzy:

3 Likes

A schizophrenic man on YouTube says he has ptsd from psychotic episodes.

2 Likes

There is very often a trauma that precipitates schizophrenia, or the symptoms of it. Do you ever hear voices, and do you ever hear multiple simultaneously, or only one at a time?

It is possible. I used to have nightmares which were similar to that of first episode and social experience which triggered it.

Used to get tense thinking I would run into people involved in that social trigger.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.