Do You Think People With Serious Mental Health Conditions Should Clap The NHS?

I’ve been criticized by my guardian for not doing more to get more work during my life.

It’s a ridiculous way of thinking.

In the States schizophrenia carries an 85% unemployment rate, largely due to discrimination.

I’m working on a career in freelance web design as a way to work around the stigma. It’s the only path I see possible, but I also happen to enjoy it.

Up until I stood up to my guardian and case worker they had only negative things to say about it.

They wanted me to go through the local BVR which I already tried.

In the US, by and large, if you’re mentally ill and wish to find work the conventional way, the only way it has a chance of working is if you have depression.

It seems like everyone here works, but I’d bet its roughly the same ratio but a lot if us don’t talk about it much.
Irl a lot of people simply lie when they feel necessary to get by.

1 Like

Holy Crap! Sz unemployment is apparently 2% worse in the UK according to a webpage I found!

Please don’t take this as an attack on the British people. The UK seems like a lovely country and much of my genetic roots lie there.

1 Like

IMO the biggest problems re UK mental health care are (1)years of serious underfunding that’s been a thorn in the side of providing good care in the community (2) too many people who should never have been allowed anywhere near a job dealing with mental illness .

The care I got while in Essex was,without doubt, subpar . Character assassination was seen as preferable to actually providing decent and supportive care .
It doesn’t take a genius to see something is very wrong when asking for more help and support gets you branded as ‘awkward,demanding and troublesome’.

Here,on the other hand, there has been none of the animosity that was shown me in Essex . The pdoc has been friendly and polite, but still professional . Ditto the depot nurse that usually comes(currently having to self isolate because she’s at increased risk re the virus). Some of that better support has no doubt come from having my stepdaughter onside .

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.