Do you think its bad to feel sorry for yourself

Sure, I wallow in self pity sometimes.

“poor me” or “why me”? “What did I do to deserve this?”
A little seems fine. As long as I don’t overdue it or dwell on it.

I’d have to be crazy to not feel sorry for myself sometimes, lol.

2 Likes

I used to feel sorry for myself a lot.

I think I did it in part because I felt like there was no one else to do it.

Like I deserved someone to recognize and empathize with my pain.

Problem is that it can be self-defeating, not empowering. You can drown in self-pity.

5 Likes

I allow myself moments of self pity. But then I snap out of it so that like @anon1517417 says, I can feel more empowered instead of stuck.

3 Likes

I feel sorry for myself that I have schizophrenia. Feeling sorry will make matters worse so I try to focus on the positives of what I can still do.

3 Likes

I would say that it is absolutely okay to feel sorry for yourself. Sometimes you’re the only one who will. Feeling sorry for yourself doesn’t mean that what you’re suffering from is any less legitimate than when other people feel sorry for you. You just don’t want to be come trapped in feeling sorry for yourself. You need to find someone you can debrief to - a friend or family member, or to your pdoc/case manager/psychologist.

4 Likes

Having someone to share your sorrow with is very important. You can’t just turn inward. Reach out.
Share a joy, twice the joy.
Share a sorrow, half the sorrow.

5 Likes

Perfect. I like that

2 Likes

I think it’s good if it’s a passing emotion and you don’t always go back to mulling over the same things.

1 Like

My sister always says, it’s okay to throw a pity party as long as it only lasts one day

1 Like

I do it, but know that it is less than advantageous for my life and attitude. I do try to keep things in perspective, even though it can be quite challenging. And sometimes, I can be wallowing in self-pity over pretty abstruse things that I don’t fully comprehend. Its a double edged blade self-pity is; on one end, it terminates your self-efficacy, and on the other, self-pity just ends up becoming more self-pity over the fact that I’m feeling bad about myself.

This is, however, only temporarily. Other times I can be feeling very gracious and peaceful. I think it is directly correlated with my mood. When my mood is appreciative and happy, I don’t feel bad for myself, but the opposite is true one the other hand.

Ultimately, I think it is a very natural human response to depression, but it is quite damaging to my mood and attitude.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.