Do you tell your pdoc & therapist about this site

I’ve learned more about schizophrenia from here and internet sources than I have from books that I have read. Book reading is overrated when you have the internet and this forum to learn things.

Edit: Nothing wrong with reading books mind you, but you can learn just as much on the internet, as long as you are careful that your sources are reliable.

3 Likes

I didn’t mean books about sz. Books like novels etc to keep the brain thinking. I wish I could read.

2 Likes

I could probably read a novel if I forced myself too. I doubt I would enjoy it though.

3 Likes

I used to enjoy reading novels before sz. I just bought the ones on Amazon that had the best reviews.

3 Likes

Of course you should.
My therapist has no problem with me being active doing things for myself like taking small walks and getting involved in drawing but she’s also realistic and knows that it’s difficult for me to do certain things for myself.
She knows that socializing is difficult for schizophrenics to achieve many times so she encourages me to keep active socializing online on a forum like this.
It’s all relative.

3 Likes

I read a few before sz too. I would not look forward to them now though. Would have to read a little bit and take breaks to regain my concentration and whatnot. I don’t even enjoy reading long blocks of text on this forum.

3 Likes

I ordered an audiobook on my phone and had a difficult time following this too.

Forget about reading novels, I don’t have the focus or concentration abilities.

I also don’t enjoy it anymore.

3 Likes

Yeah, plenty of times. She actually approves of this forum.

My pops doesn’t like me using this site, dont even know why I told him.

Still love him tho.

:triumph:

2 Likes

Yep, and none of them even spend a second talking about it. They just go “oh interesting” and skip by it.

2 Likes

I haven’t told anyone I visit this site. It’s just a place I like to come to and talk with others who have schizophrenia about whatever the topics of the day are. Gives me something to do when I am bored. Also because of this website I am much more social that I use to be. Before I found this website I literally had zero social life. No friends, no gf, no job, I just surfed the Internet and watched TV and mostly kept to myself. I like this forum much better than a hospital group setting.

2 Likes

I told my therapist. She did check out the entire site. She doesn’t like the family side, but likes ours. I explained how everything works and even that I am a mod.

She was pretty impressed with it. Her biggest fear was that people would fuel paranoia and delusions. After checking it out she told me it looked like a great place.

3 Likes

And she only came once. She promised to respect my privacy. I trust her.

3 Likes

Mine asked if she could look it over.i I said as long as she doesn’t make an account, cuz I would ban her.

2 Likes

This thread is making me wonder about the possibility of how many people may be masquerading as sz or sza on this site just to just to join in. I doubt it’s many but I would not doubt if there are a few.

(I had this thought because of ninjastar’s comment about banning her pdoc/therapist. How would you know it was her if she didn’t admit it?)

1 Like

My psychologist thinks coming on here is a bad idea and that it makes my anxiety worse- ah well! Here I am!!

2 Likes

Yes I told my therapist that I am on here. I was surprised that they hadn’t heard of it before.

1 Like

Nope. Never had a need to discuss this site with any doctor or therapist.

1 Like

I did! This is such a great support and resource that I actually wrote it into my safety plan. I don’t think he’d ever come check it out, but he definitely knows it exists

2 Likes

I told my doctor I visited “a” forum for schizophrenia, but I didn’t tell him which one. :innocent:

2 Likes

My shrink is that busy he just wouldn’t have the time. I did notice he’s finally on a smart phone. That is progress but I wouldn’t be online if I was him. I did a search of what people think of him and his treatment and there were some bad replies. It’s not easy psychiatry. I find him a good human being who cares about his patients.

1 Like