Do you smile and laugh often?

Yes i try to smile at people, but i am a serious and shy person so sometimes I fail to. I love laughing especially around my husband or parents family friends etc. if there is something funny that is.

In my religion, smiling is considered a form of charity :blush:

4 Likes

I think I’m slightly shy so I seem to smile quite often.

But underneath them all is chronic depression

3 Likes

I’m always making jokes and trying to laugh about things. But I have a lot of darker moments too. So I think I’m evenly split. Then my alters some never take anything seriously others take everything seriously.

1 Like

@anon20318121 while on the other spectrum, I am told “ you look extremely confident” “the way you look, walk and act” in fact, I am told when I enter, I command the room… people often say “I’ve seen you before, I wanted to say hi but I felt intimidated” I maintain a very stern look in public. By looking at me, one would think that my SH*T smelt of Dior, but underneath I am socially anxious (and diagnosed as social anxiety) in addition to schizophrenia. I do not make eye contact, when I walk in public, and I see people approach, I take out my phone and act like I have a text message, just so I can get past them.

so I understand what you mean between internal and external discrepancy.

6 Likes

I think I behave fearfully.Might be the past trama I get while socializing,getting bullied Etc.I find it extremely difficult to smile or laugh even when I try,it’s not natural.Your so lucky…

Hey,man I can relate.I am socially anxious around people too,but I am not the confident and commanding type,in fact I act timidly and shy.I am very anxious around people also

@Gtx1990 I would say that I am perhaps one of the most social-introverts. I will only engage when I have been engaged… I speak only when I am spoken to

Yep that is the same as I feel spot on

1 Like

@Qwerty1 you don’t have any social situation you find very uncomfortable in?i don’t hope you have,I am just curious to find out.

Do you ever been in social situation and become mute and uncomfortable?I hope no and I hope your all good socially,peace.

Yes that’s also how I feel

There are times.

When people try to approach me because they are interested (let’s say in a bar)

When I am in a group of people I do not know

Walking down a high street, busy street, station

1 Like

@Gtx1990 mute not necessarily. Like I said previously, I speak when I am spoken to, or only contribute to a conversation when I have something useful to contribute. I prefer to listen than to speak

2 Likes

I would like to listen to,when I am in “mute mode” I am uncomfortable and cannot concentrade at all.It makes socializing very difficult,don’t wish anyone will have the same situation as me

@Gtx1990 Last weekend however, I was with at an event where there were roughly a hundred people I did not know. I was with my best friend, I was completely fine. In fact my best friend sent me a message afterwards, I would post it but it is personal, and he said how proud he was of me making effort and engaging with others.

What he references is that this time last year, I was not just anxious about going out, I was afraid. I would have to have someone walk with me, just the shop. Can you imagine? Afraid to walk alone in the street. I was like a child…

I tell you this because, what I feel helped me has been leaving the house everyday. Although I am going to the gym, and do not speak to people, I am out of the house and intergrating with society.

Also I found that saying good morning/afternoon/evening to people who I make eye contact with helped tremendously.

Try it

3 Likes

I am so proud of you,I hope I can learn to be like you…

2 Likes

@Gtx1990 I think one should learn to be the best version of themselves. Find out how you can be the best “you”

2 Likes

I try to be in a good mood by myself, it doesnt really work well.

I dont smile or laugh often because i think it makes me uglier, especially with people outside my family.

but it is my circumstance (facial deformity) that makes me this way. Every time I am in public it is excruiating painful.

People are akward, shocked at my appearance, afraid because they think they just walked up to an accident victim, some just shoot me brief looks of utter disgust.

I dont socialize to laugh with others because most of the time I inspire negative emotions in other people (above). So, as a result, I dont smile or laugh much myself.

Sorry to hear that,I hope life can treat you better soon

2 Likes

Thankyou.

it is best for people like me to accept we are “lifers”.

1 Like

When I’m in public, I smile a lot to the people I pass in the hallways and I say hello to everyone I pass. I don’t laugh that often though. Nothing seems very funny to me. Everyone, and I mean everyone, tells me that I have an “evil” laugh. That hurts me when people tell me that. People didn’t tell me that when I was a young woman. Now that I’m older and my voice is deeper, that’s what they tell me now.

2 Likes