"Do you have some toast"? - language barriers

Where I grew up, people wouldn’t ask for some food or drinks if they wanted some when visiting someone. They’d ask if the person had it.

When I moved to Denmark, it caused some confusion.
I’d ask friends “do you have some toast”, and they, not realising it meant “can I have some toast” would say yes and get confused as to why I needed to know whether they had food or not.

What language barriers have you encountered?

2 Likes

My Hispanic boss has an accent and tends to slur his words by the end of the day when he’s tired. It gets a little weird listening to him give me instructions when he does that. He’ll be talking English and looking you in the eye but it’s like gibberish. His English is usually very good and he’s actually a nice, friendly guy but it’s very frustrating.

I have a coworker who speaks a dialect where the sounds she makes don’t register in my brain (hearing problems(
Especially her r’s.
75% of the time she talks, I just smile and nod

One thing that stumps non-australians is the yeah-nah response in a conversation. “Is it yes or no?”

Haha I do that too.
And also if someone says “you didn’t take the paper?” I’ll say “yes” as in, “yes, that’s right, I didn’t take it” but most people think it means “yes I took it”

2 Likes

Well is it??:joy: 14434444

1 Like

One time I was dating a French girl, and we both spoke okay in each other’s language, but one night she wanted to go all the way with me, and I was unfortunately on my period. But I had NO idea how to say menstruation in French because my classes apparently never forsaw this situation. She had no idea why I was saying period in english and what that had to do with me not wanting to sleep with her. She thought I just wasn’t interested. So I had to stumble through “c’est une temps incommode dans ma pantaloons” which basically means “it is an inconvenient time in my pants” but with very poor grammar. She found this hilarious, thankfully, and it got the point across.

2 Likes

Lol! Depends on the context i’m afraid. As an Aussie, you know easily if yeah-nah means yes or no depending on the context of the conversation. But for non Aussies, you may have to ask.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.