Do you have any experience with a lie detector machine?

One time before a l took a lie detector test I went out and ran five miles in 95 degree weather before I took it because I thought the run would relax me. I’ve always sweated very easily. That must have really altered my skin resistance. I know I failed the test because the manager of the convenience store called me up and told me the job had been given to his cousin.

1 Like

I think my ex husband was the delusional one and not me. He stated to me once that if he ever had to sit a lie detector test he would be clever enough to beat it. ha ha. He was such a liar.

2 Likes

Um, I don’t think the test mattered here.

2 Likes

Why would you take a lie detector test for a job like that? Never heard of such a thing.

1 Like

I don’t believe for a second that he gave the job to his cousin. It was because I got weird results on the lie detector. I was only a little bit mad about it. Next time I will know not to get all in a sweaty lather before I take the test. My skin resistance is strange. I can sneeze and start sweating.

In convenience stores they have had problems with workers helping themselves with the goods in the stores. It can cost them a lot of money, so they take every precaution.

1 Like

Wow never heard of this before…

Are you sure this really happened @crimby?
Never ever heard of such a thing before.

Things like this just don’t happen.

Yes. It happens. In a lot of convenience stores they routinely give polygraphs to prospective employees. I don’t know why you have a hard time believing that.

I’m sorry @crimby, didn’t mean to doubt you.
I just never knew.
I’ve learned something new today.

if I ever had to take a lie detector test for a measly convenience store job, I’d pass on that in a heartbeat. A lie detector test sounds miserable

Dont know much about those tests, but I know you can pass them if you can control your breathing.

They have, I think like an 11% failed accuracy rate or something.

You probably failed the test because your breathing was way off due to the run.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Lots of experience. They still haven’t found the bodies. It’s all about clenching the sphincter when you lie.

:innocent:

4 Likes

It seems a bit extreme to give you a lie detector test at a job interview.

I think it is mostly done in convenience stores. I don’t know why.

1 Like

Never heard of that before. It sounds a bit ridiculous really. I would consider denying it because I would be thinking too much about how the manager is going to be towards his employees.

With just a little pilfering an employee can cost a convenience store a lot of money.

1 Like

There is better ways of choosing decent people to work in shops though.

Yes, and lie detectors aren’t always reliable, but I guess that as long as they don’t publish the results they’re within their rights. One question that got me was, “Have you ever cashed a check when you knew you didn’t have enough money in the bank to cover it?” I was in the army at the time, and towards the end of the month I did write a check or two that I knew I didn’t have the money to cover, but I was able to cover the amount, with a ten dollar fine the next week.

1 Like

No lie detectors here, but in South Australia 90% of jobs require you to have a police check. This includes jobs working with children and the elderly. Even for voluntary positions you are required to have a police clearance.

My brother-in-law is sixty and recently applied for a voluntary position for which they required a police check. It showed up his only criminal conviction of larceny, dating back to when he was twenty years old (forty years ago) and was fined $100 as punishment for his crime.

You now have to be squeaky clean to get any employment in South Australia.