Do you find spirituality helpful or destabilizing?

Some people describe schizophrenia as a spiritual crisis but it is a physical bio-chemical disfunction of the brain as well.

To my mind the spiritual comes first and gives rise to the physical, but this can run very deep.

Trying to fix schizophrenia by trying to fix your spiritual life is a bit like trying to fix a broken arm by praying. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it is easier and more practical to put it in plaster.

On top of this, approaching spirituality unguided can lead to greater crisis, whilst finding the right guide who understands your particular condition can be difficult.

So do people find their spiritual practice, if they do any at all, helpful or destabilizing?

Everyone is different, schizophrenia is a loose catch all term, and what works for one person might not necessarily work for another, which is one of the reasons we all take different meds.

What are some of the spiritual practices you have tried, what has worked and what hasn’t and why?

Thank you.

I find it ironically helpful and I hope its not because of esp, but religious reasons.

My faith is very stabilizing to me and totally helpful.

@Gagis It’s against the rules to talk about religion. Now you know …

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.