Schizophrenia.com

Do you ever think of our schizophrenic forefathers

Like the people that had this before meds were around. I think about how if I had this and was born when my grandparents were, there would be no medication for me to live a normal life. I also think about all of the people that were institutionalized for years. Sometimes I am wondering if the mentally ill are deserving of reparations but I know that what we really need is better care and more supports for independent living in the community.

6 Likes

Really?..Are you sure?

1 Like

My leg muscles are pretty big. I bet my ancestors did a lot of manual labor or were indentured servants. :exploding_head::sunglasses::sunglasses::muscle:

1 Like

I am unsure of what you are insinuating

I think reparations are stupid and emotionally charged with little to no rational thought. Not thought out completely. How much money should you get (or I get) for things that happened before you were born? Does every little slight or injustice need money, even if it happened 50-100 years ago? We need to move on and forgive and make sure the present and future are better. What happened happened. You cannot change that.

How would one prove any of this? How would we pay for it? It sounds silly to me. Everyone wants something for nothing. Everyone is a victim. You and I are not victims, it’s our predecessors or ancestors that were.

Anyways, I think I should get a few million at least. Can you write me a check?

1 Like

It was just a thought lol. I do personally believe in reparations, but reparations don’t have to come in the form of money. Not all forms of reparation are financial. When I think of reparations I think of systematic changes that erase the disenfranchisement of those with SMI. Like mass changes in policy so that it is community emergency response teams (CERT) instead of untrained police are handling those with mental illness, or a better social security system that allows those with disabilities to work to however functional they are without losing their healthcare. Just my opinion kk

2 Likes

I agree with that.

2 Likes

It would have been awful. In an asylum being abused by both staff and other patients.

1 Like

Oh no doubt.

here is some footage from an asylum pre-antipsychotic. I hate how the staff just play with the catatonic patients.
3 Likes

My former roommate had a great time being institutionalized. But he is low functioning. He was a cool guy. I heard some crazy stories from him.

When I got sick, i thought it would be cool to live in the mental hospital. It was like a resort or vacation. It was a private hospital. This was before HIPAA laws I think. Back then, we could use cell phones, get outside food, smoke, etc. It was laid back and cool back then.

Things changed though. It would be hell now.

Asylums would suck.

1 Like

did we just talk politics :astonished:

Nobody in my family has sz/sza but I had a grandpa that was addicted to gambling and the other one was a farmer that used to climb trees to grab oranges on his backyard.

What do I have from both of them? Well physically I don’t get weight easily, I’m thin even with meds. I was underweight and now with meds I’m in my right weight! So I can only thank for being thin and don’t get any weight easily…

My mental traits are crap so I’m not happy with my family on that aspect. I don’t like being an introvert and having hard time to talk to people. My mom is the opposite she’s extrovert and can talk to everybody.

Sometimes I wonder what it was really like in cultures that supported Shamanistic beliefs.

Being part of a tribe as a healer, accepted for hearing spirits.

Then I snap out of the fantasy and realize what I would be giving up. The meds, the support, etc, and my life would probably be a hell of symptoms

1 Like

If you like old footage and have an hour to kill, this is a good old movie.
Freaks (1932)

3 Likes

That’s a good one. Gooble gobble! One of us!

The seminal event in modern-day psychiatric care took place in 1955 with the introduction of the first effective antipsychotic, chlorpromazine (Thorazine). The medication was the impetus to deinstitutionalization, a government policy that moved mental health patients out of state-run “insane asylums” into federally funded community health centers. Medicare and Medicaid were enacted 10 years later, which made the policy widespread.

That being said, inhumane treatment of the severely mentally ill (and people with developmental and intellectual disabilities) continued in psychiatric hospitals and schools well into the 1970s, with barbaric acts such as lobotomies, electroshock and injections of live hepatitis. These cruel practices, among others, saw a Sea change when investigative journalist Geraldo Rivera infiltrated Willowbrook State School with a hidden camera, exposing the horror to the eyes of the public.

We’ve come a long way, but I’ll never forget the barbaric acts perpetrated against those who’ve come before us. The images are indelibly seared into my mind. And that’s a good thing. It’s a good thing because it ensures that I’ll never forget.

And I don’t want to forget.

4 Likes

It’s terrible how people were treated. Nothing can forgive the actions, but that desperate situation led to the drugs we have today. We owe it to those people to live as full a life as we can as they’re the ones who died on our beach.

1 Like

It certainly reminds me to count myself fortunate to have schizophrenia in 2019. It was horrific back then.

1 Like

Hey man, it’s the principle of the thing. Money can’t nearly make up for the wrongs and atrocities committed against certain groups by the white majority or any other color majority in the world who killed or degraded or tortured or humiliated the people who can’t fight back.

People have pride and feelings and it’s the wrongs against groups like the slaves in America that humiliate and enrage blacks today. You can’t tell someone how to feel about their ancestors being slaughtered. Money ain’t enough but it’s start. I have nothing against you personally but do you think Native-Americans like living on dusty crappy lands that drive half of them to become alcoholics and live in poverty and still face discrimination to this day? It’s because the white man slaughtered their ancestors and the Native-Americans still pay for it today in many parts of America. It’s not as if all the the reparations are given as a surplus to a bunch of wealthy Native-Americans who already have money and don’t need it. They are given to the poor Native-Americans or blacks who are in the position they are in living in shitty conditions they live in today that can be traced back directly to how their forefathers were treated.

You’re absolutely right, we need to help them have a future but don’t you think the way you write that is a little callous and insensitive?
“Oh well we slaughtered your great great grandfather who you’re named after and have photographs of but we were just joking, it was no big deal, quit being crybabies and go eat some more dust on your shitty land that nobody else wants and grow up and get over it already. Whatever happened happened and quit whining.”

Of course poverty isn’t restricted to just blacks or Native-Americans or Jews, there’s people who’s ancestors were treated great but they are still poor. We should help them too. IDK. I just got online and read your post and you feel how you want to feel and this is how I feel.

1 Like

I was glad I missed the institutions.

When I first came here some of the members were living in institutions for a large part of their lives. Their mailing address was the mental wards. Members of my cricket team played games at grounds who backed onto mental institutions. The mentally ill would line the fence and watch them play!

My psydoc saw the end of them and when we got let out into the world again. I’m glad he did! He has a nice perspective on things!

Yes. It has crossed my mind!

1 Like