Do you ever feel intense guilt after drinking too much?

i drank too much for new years eve. i hope up hung over after i couldn’t remember the end of the night. my head hurt on and off, and my kidneys hurt, and it felt like my insides were bleeding. clearly a sin to be doin that much damage to my body. even if drinking is a good time it’s still wrong. if i was still a twenty year old, i’d prob be recovered by now, but i’m 38. too old to be drinkin that much.

i need to work on developing better habits with that set of friends, as that’s all they wanna do half the time it seems even if i’m not joining in most of the time.

thoughts?

2 Likes

I admitted that I was an alcoholic back in 2016 I think, and have been going to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. I wasn’t if I was when I first went, but my Case Manager thought I had a drinking problem. AA has 20 questions to see if you might be an alcoholic. Just Google AA 20 Questions. You only have to have a desire to stop drinking to join AA.

1 Like

i answered yes to two to six of the twenty questions. that indicates i am on the line of probably to definitely an alcoholic. never considered myself one, but it’s a habit that i drink too much on special occassions, which has been goin on the last twenty years. i need to develop better habits with friends, that’s my main source of the problem. id be responsible if i always was alone.

1 Like

Glad I could help. You might want to check with your doctor. My Mom and her boyfriend had drinking problems but never admitted it or got help. That probably lead me to drink I picked up cigarette smoking from my grandmother. I never was hung over the next day but I drank daily.

1 Like

not so much as guilt, more like I just did not need it in my life and the feelings it brings. decades ago I quit for a year, then would be more social with it after that.
Still got a few hangovers, then said nope and quit, no desire for it now

2 Likes

I would add I was having blackouts – not being able to remember what I did last night. I woke up one morning with a broken finger and didn’t have a clue how I broke it.

1 Like

No, I just lay on the couch to rest my eyes and then I fall asleep. Then I wake up and all the alcohol has worn off. Usually a waste of money to be honest.

Maybe try drinking something easier on your system. Sounds like you drank hard liquor. I can’t drink it anymore. Wine and champagne don’t seem to bother me as much.

1 Like

at this point in recovery, its hard to drink any alcohol without feeling guilty or any form of self hatred. i had two glasses of champagne for a buzz on christmas after several years of being clean. all i kept thinking about is how drinking affected me and what if i get worse. though, sometimes i still really want to drink until i cant, but i have to avoid it because of my medical conditions

i think its okay to surround yourself with people who drink, unless theyre pressuring you to join. your health and wellbeing come first! i hope your body heals soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.